Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can't create currency (Forex pair) instrument (expiry grey out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't create currency (Forex pair) instrument (expiry grey out)

Hello,

I'm not sure what I am missing, but I can't seem to add a currency pair (e.g. EURUSD from master instrument) to an instrument list.

The exchange is set as "Default", but when I click on the left arrow, it requires me to "select an expiry". However, this option is grey out.

I'm very new with the software and is still trying out its functions. I've already downloaded a sample batch of minute EURUSD forex historic data from Dukascopy and converted them into the format that Ninjatrader required. I've successfully imported the data as well and can see the data show up in the Historic Data Manager.

However, I do not know how to use that data, nor create a chart or run any strategies that came with the software on it.

Would greatly appreciate if someone could advise me what to do.

I also found the help guide isn't very useful at all.

Thank you!.

NinjaTrader will require a connection to a data feed if you wish to display real-time data. The historical data you've downloaded will be usable when backtesting if imported properly.

Who are you connected to? This is displayed by green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.

Who is your broker?

Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Lance View Post
      NinjaTrader will require a connection to a data feed if you wish to display real-time data. The historical data you've downloaded will be usable when backtesting if imported properly.

Who are you connected to? This is displayed by green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.

Who is your broker?

Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
      Hello Lance,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not wish to display real-time data. I only wish to create and backtest strategies and create charts from the historic data I've downloaded and imported from Durkascopy. I'm currently using the free version of the software, so my understanding is that I can do all those until I am ready to trade live, in which I will need to purchase a license.

I'm already with Interactive Brokers, but have not connected the software with them.

The only error on screen is when I pressed the "left" button, a window pop up claiming, "You must select an expiry date". (or some sort, at work right now)

My understanding is that I need to create an instrument in an instrument list before I can create any charts / backtest strategies. As I have said, I have already imported 3 years worth 1 minutes EURUSD data into Ninjatrader.

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Temjin

Comment

When dealing with Forex pairs you won't need to select an expiry.

If you were able to import the data without errors then there is likely nothing you need to do in the instrument manager.

You will be able to use the instrument manager to add the EURUSD to an instrument list: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ment_lists.htm

Once you've done that you can then go to tool -> historical data manager -> Edit -> Expand the EURUSD to ensure all the data is available that you imported

You will then be able to use the strategy analyzer to run tests over the data.

If you get this expiry selection error there is likely an incorrectly named instrument that needs to be removed. When you do a search for EURUSD in the instrument list ensure only the EURUSD of type "Currency" comes up. If another one does you will want to delete it.
        LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Lance. I apologise for the late response. Please find my additional questions below.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Lance View Post
          When dealing with Forex pairs you won't need to select an expiry.

If you were able to import the data without errors then there is likely nothing you need to do in the instrument manager.

You will be able to use the instrument manager to add the EURUSD to an instrument list: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ment_lists.htm
          I understand Forex pair do not have any expiry date unless I am dealing with future contracts.

However, I still cannot add the EURUSD instrument to any list in the instrument manager.

Here is my step by step method.

- Open "Instrument Manager"
          - Select / Highlight "EURUSD" in the "Available Master Instrument" list. (either via search or select from list)
          - In the "Exchange" droplist, select "Default"
          - "Expiry" droplist is however, greyed out.
          - Click on "Left Arrow" to transfer it to any of the instrument list. (for example, to a newly created FOREX list)

However, an error window would pop up saying, "You must select an expiry date".

In fact, I've tried this method on other currency pairs and stock symbols, but it still give me the same error message!!!

HOWEVER, if I select a contract (Type: Future), the "Expiry" droplist is available and I can just select any one of them and it will add to an instrument list.

So what am I doing wrong exactly?

I understand in the guide (as per the link you've attached", the step 3 in the adding instrument section says, "Depending on the instrument type, parameter drop down lists will become enabled. In the above example, the ES futures contract is selected which prompts you to enter the Exchange and Expiry parameters you wish to use."

My problem is that ANY instrument type that does not have the "Expiry" parameter drop down list enabled will NOT be able to transfer to an instrument list. The error message would come up every single time.

Once you've done that you can then go to tool -> historical data manager -> Edit -> Expand the EURUSD to ensure all the data is available that you imported
          I've checked this and the "$EURUSD" data is there with all the data intact.

If you get this expiry selection error there is likely an incorrectly named instrument that needs to be removed. When you do a search for EURUSD in the instrument list ensure only the EURUSD of type "Currency" comes up. If another one does you will want to delete it.
          It can't be because all other non-future instrument cannot be added to the list. And yes, the EURUSD is of "Currency" type.

You will then be able to use the strategy analyzer to run tests over the data.
          http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...y_analyzer.htm
          Which comes up to my next problem. (I seriously do not know why I have so much problem with this, and I can consider myself pretty proficient in working with software!)

I can backtest the default "SampleMAcrossover" strategy on the "AA" symbol stock that already have daily data with the Ninjatrader software.

HOWEVER, I cannot do the same for the EURUSD instrument despite the data is there.

To get the backtest for "AA" symbol working, I had to select the instrument on the left list, then right click to backtest, select the strategy, correct timeframe and data series, and it would work.

But since the EURUSD instrument is not added to any instrument list, and does not appear on the left (because of the problem above), I do this by clicking on the "B" icon above to run a backtest, and entered EURUSD instrument in the data series, time frame, etc. However, the backtest will not run at all. Nothing happens. The summary screen still shows the incorrect timeframe data.

I hope you can help me with this. I've tried this many other ways but couldn't get it to work. It's really frustrating as I thought NJ would be easy to use.

Note: I do have the latest version of Ninjatrader.
          Last edited by Temjinck; 03-08-2013, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Can you please reset your instruments and try this procedure again.

To reset your instruments please: go to the Tools menu, select the Options menu item, select the Data tab, and then click on 'Reset Instruments'.

Then restart NinjaTrader and let me us know if you still cannot add the EURUSD Currency instrument to your default list.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
              Can you please reset your instruments and try this procedure again.

To reset your instruments please: go to the Tools menu, select the Options menu item, select the Data tab, and then click on 'Reset Instruments'.

Then restart NinjaTrader and let me us know if you still cannot add the EURUSD Currency instrument to your default list.
              Thanks Matthew! That was a simple fix. Everything works fine now.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post mgco4you  
              Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:19 PM
              1 response
              0 likes