• Show
Clear All

slow analyzing

Hi,

i'm still not happy with the performance of NT7 during
    a. multiple charts open
    b. backtesting
    c. optimalization proces.

It often crashes ( message; doesn't respond), is extremely slow, or ( optimalisation; takes eitehr 24+ hours or crashes).

I do have 4 processors running, 8mb memory, but it's always only using one. I read in your emails that windows can only use 1 processor in NT , but that NT is set-up for multiple processor usage..which doesn't add up I think.

I'm using windows server 2008 R2.

In a email from you months ago it said; NinjaTrader is supported on the following operating systems: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003.

So, 2008 isn't mentioned here above.

How can we get to the stage that NT is using more than 1 processor, one is just not enough. The system could be so much faster if we can use more processors.

Kind regards,

Rob

Rob, thanks for the post. Yes, you're correct Server 2008 would not be an officially supported OS. However for the processor usage - in backtesting and optimization it should use all cores, whereas realtime operations would be running on one (that's being enhanced for our next major update, as generally application wide performance would be).

When you optimize for example with our default SampleMACrossOver strategy would you then also see only one core used?

For reviewing your diagnostic files on the issues please direct them to our support via Help >> Mail to Support directly in NT.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

i've tried the std sample cross over ma and backtested that strategie. Also only one processor used, see attachment.
      Same for optimization.

Where you stated; However for the processor usage - in backtesting and optimization it should use all cores, whereas realtime operations would be running on one, this is contrary to an earlier email that i received ( if i read it correctly..) ;

Hello Rob,

Please see my response below to the other email you sent us.

NinjaTrader 7 has optimized multi core/multi-processor support. This would allow you to make full usage of a multi-core/ multi-processor hardware on backtesting multiple instruments or running multiple iterations of a strategy optimization at the same time.

However due to the nature of the Window OS, NinjaTrader 7 would not be able to fully use all available multi-cores/multi-processors at any given time.

Sincerely,
      Jason
      NinjaTrader Customer Service

Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help.

Rob
      Attached Files

Comment

Rob, could you please direct your log and trace files for review via Help >> Mail to Support to me? Just reference this thread please in the subject or message so my team would be aware.

Jason's comment is correct, for NT7 in backtesting / optimization in the SA multiple cores would be used - when processing charts or real-time deployment of NinjaScript strategies one core.

Comment

Files have been sent.
          Interesting to see what the problem is, this way the optimization is a pain..
          Included again a picture of the processor usage; 25%. ( backtesting now)

Thanks for the help.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Last edited by robje737; 03-07-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

and one for the optimization...
            Attached Files

Comment

Rob, would you mind letting me know by PM which ticket # you got assigned as you sent those files to us for review?

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

I have no clue. I did sent it via NT platform and it was sent succesfully ( according to a message).
                Not sure whether or not i did get an ticket number.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Rob,

Can you please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com

We will carry out further instructions once we've established email communication.
                  MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

email send

Comment

Thanks - you should get an automated generated email that says we've received your message and will always include a 6 digit ticket number. Please let us know if you do not get this within 5-10 minutes of sending. You may also want to check your spam/junk folder or try another email address to be safe.

Comment

i did use the send mail function in the NT7 platform, so not via my regurlar email.
                        Tell me please how to download the log and trace files

Rob

Comment

i tried it again ( via help, mail to support in NT) with a copy to myself.

Comment

Please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and include your most recent log and trace files, Attn: Bertrand in the Subject line and a reference to this thread.

You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.

* The log file will be named ‘log.20130308.txt’

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.

* The trace file will be named ‘trace.20130308.txt’

Please attach both of these files to your next response. If these files are over 4MB, please let me know and I can respond with alternative instructions.

Comment

Hello,

using only 1 core during a backtest is called: Energy Saving. This is the main point. This is done to protect the 4 cores CPU, and to protect the planet for heating.

I heard that server center have a lot of server running full speed. maybe will be nice to install NT on them...

Anyway, is there any news regarding the problem, cause Robje is not the only one having this problem.

Thanks.

Regards,
                              FBO

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jclose
                              by jclose