X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinetick and IB Forex data feed

Hi Ninjas,

A simple question:

When I connect my NT with Kinetick real time forex data, and at the same time with Interactivebrokers for execution, how can I be sure that the incoming for charts is just from Kinetick? NT automatically gives preference to Kinetick over IB data feed? if not, how must I configure my NT in order to receive real time forex data from Kinetick and IB just ready for orders executions?

Thanks

Hi pstrusi,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader determines the source of the data based on the connection order. By connecting to Kinetick as your primary data source all supported data would be available from the primary connection.

NinjaTrader only reverts to the secondary connection when it supports data the primary connection does not, or if there is an account from which to trade. Since Kinetick is a data only provider it does not include a selectable account. Any time you connect to a brokerage connection the associated account would be available.

More information on the connection configuration at: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...onnections.htm
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Guys - I'd be glad for your advice on this closely related point. I have a funded IB account, so an IB live data feed, plus a Kinetick data feed for historic tick data (IB don't supply that). As I understand it, Kinetick's spot FX data comes from a different broker (FXCM ?) - so that data is effectively from a different market to IB's IdealPro ECN. Now I know the prices on different broker spot FX markets and ECNs should run pretty much together (otherwise someone would artibrage them) - but we've all seen different broker markets can give different prices and spreads at e.g. non farm payrolls time.

So, it seems to me that it may be unrealistic to trade spot FX in an Interactive Brokers account based on FXCM's spot FX prices if any kind of precise entry is required. Trading FX Futures would be a different matter, because then IB and FXCM are obtaining their data from the same exchange, and prices should run absolutely together (unless the speed of the feeds differs).

So, NT Support told me (thanks guys) that I can run IBs feed for their realtime 1/500th second filtered tick info and also run Kinetic's feed to backfill that with historical data. Does that mean that e.g. if I start NT with both feeds running on Sunday night when the IB spot FX ECN opens, then 12 hours later on Monday morning I should be looking at 12 hours of realtime IB filtered tick data backfilled with Kinetick's FXCM historical data (which presumably is close enough for approximate support and resistance zone spotting)?

Or, is the FXCM spot FX pricing actually close enough to IB's ECN pricing to enable traders to make e.g. scalping decisions on it? That seems unlikely when in normal market conditions the IB spread on e.g. EURUSD is 0.5 pips and FXCM's is maybe 1.4.?

Sorry to labour this point, but I think it's it's both very important and kinda confusing. Kinetick data is advertised across the board as being highly accurate, but their spot FX data comes from one specific broker's spot FX market, which many of us don't trade

Opinions and advice appreciated...

Max

Comment

My humble opinion:

I´ve been assessing the tick data coming from IB and Kinetick. IB data is more "complete", around 50% more ticks than Kinetick´s one and accurate enough for my Algo. The downside is there´s no historical available, but since it's important to me having data with similar performance, I´m looking for historical data similar to IB.

Good luck

Comment

Hi jhmax,

To add to pstrusi's response there are a couple of options in this scenario.

While it is true that the Basic Forex with Kinetick is available with FXCM as the only provider, Kinetick also offers a Premium Forex which provides more comprehensive forex data.

This data adds TenFore data, in addition to what is available with the Basic Forex package. The TenFore data includes forex pairs that are composite symbols, as well as regional bank quote rates. In total each particular currency pair available has the potential for 9 different different forex providers.

As it relates to using IB as the real-time provider your charts would reflect the charted real-time ticks from when you connect, and any historical data would be generated immediately from the time of connection until reloading the data. When re-loading all historical data would be replaced with the Kinetick secondary connection while IB would continue in real-time.

Additionally, within NinjaTrader there is a possible future enhancement that would enable you to select the type of asset class available from specific providers, such that you can configure IB as your real-time forex provider while Kinetick supports other asset classes, as well as the ability to specify historical and real-time providers (which supplements pstrusi's aims) . This type of capacity, if implemented, would enable you to configure your connections based on necessity for your trading.
          Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks again - Ryan, I appreciate that the TenFore data may be nearer to IB's data - but I haven't been able to find an answer to the question of whether any other datafeed is close enough to use for scalping FX. There must be somebody doing this out there, I'll try the IB forums.

I guess one other option is to keep my trading computer running at all times IBs FX ECN is open. However as I understand it, TWS closes down once a day without the option, which cuts the data feed, and I haven't found a satisfactory work-around to that.

I think users need to pressure IB to provide some historical tick data - there must be lots of traders who just use tick charts, even for just for refining their entry levels, and even 24 hours of it would be enough for my purposes.

pstrusi - if you find a better answer to this, I'd appreciate it if you could post it here - I'll do the same.

Max

Comment

I may now have a workable solution to this. I just received an email from someone who successfully scalps spot FX professionally (that's 10 pip or so 'scalping', not say 2-4 pips). He uses an online charting package not attached to a broker, plus a separate broker account and its native order entry window.

His practical day to day experience of this appears to be that if you're using a true ECN broker funded by a bunch of the big banks (consistently showing say 0.5 spread on EURUSD) and a data source aggregating data from a similar bunch of big banks and showing the same spread, the difference in price at any one time is not enough in itself to prevent you scalping successfully. I guess it might not be any greater than the errors involved in trading 5 decimal point prices and having price move a few pipettes between you eye seeing the signal breaking and the order hitting the broker? That sounds quite a different story from e.g. trading an account with a 0.5 pip spread from a chart being supplied with a data feed showing a 2 pip spread - which is what I'd be doing if I traded an IB account from NT charts running from the 'vanilla' Kinetick (ie FXCM) FX datafeed.

However, Kinetick sent me details of their Premium Forex data feedpackage (which I think Ryan mentions below), which they say is also optimised for NT. With that, you can map your NT Forex symbol to a choice of several of the TenFore FX price feeds for that instrument (which I believe are composites or 'average best bid & ask' prices of a number of bank feeds). Should you be so inclined, you could even map it to a single bank feed from a reasonably wide choice including CitiBank, Barclays, Saxo Bank, UBS, and a bunch of others, if it so happens that it's a good match for your broker pricing - $100/mth. I'm giving that a try, I'll let you know how that works for me.

Max

Comment

I have just subscribed to the Kinetick Premium Forex feed, but the chart is only displaying 4 decimal places, even though I have set the $EURUSD symbol to 0.00001 in instrument manager.

How do I display 5 dp on the charts?

Also I can't find any way of mapping the symbol to individual banks. How do you do this?

NT staff can you please check that I am actually receiving premium FX data - it doesn't look very good at the moment. My Kinetick id is 422419

Thanks

Comment

in NT go to:
                  TOOLS, OPTIONS, DATA Quote Currencies data in: (Choose half-pip)

I hope this works for you

Comment

in NT go to:
                    TOOLS, OPTIONS, DATA Quote Currencies data in: (Choose half-pip)
                    Thanks, but it doesn't seem to work. The chart is still only showing 4dp. I know FXCM quotes in 5dp.

I changed the FX data to display 10th pip too, but that didn't work either.

Comment

if NT is well configurated then I believe it will depend on your provider data. I work with Interactivebroker that actually sends data in halfpips.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Operandi View Post
                        I have just subscribed to the Kinetick Premium Forex feed, but the chart is only displaying 4 decimal places, even though I have set the $EURUSD symbol to 0.00001 in instrument manager.

How do I display 5 dp on the charts?

Also I can't find any way of mapping the symbol to individual banks. How do you do this?

NT staff can you please check that I am actually receiving premium FX data - it doesn't look very good at the moment. My Kinetick id is 422419

Thanks
                        I've checked with Kinetick and you do have the premium subscription.

As long as you've set the "Quote Currencies" option to tenth pip as suggested by the user, you should see the tick size changed to 0.00005 for the usd based pairs such as the EURUSD. If you do not see this change reflected, please make sure to right click and the chart and select "reload all historical data".

By default the forex instrument will be mapped to FXCM, however this can be changed by going to Tools--> Instrument Manager--> locate the instrument you wish to change and select "Edit".

From the Instrument Editor, click on the "Misc" tab--> Scroll down to the "Symbol Map" section and you will see Kinetick has:

EURUSD.FXCM

For example if you want a Composite of all the different banks you can use:

EURUSD.COMP

For a full list of symbols, please use the Kinetick Symbol Search and filter for Forex symbols:

MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Many thanks, Mathew.

I'll test out your suggestions and reply to this thread.

Comment

That all works.

Many thanks, guys

Comment

Hi guys,

Two questions for you all. I hope that someone can answer. I'm willing to get the premium Forex package from Kinetick. Which Bank/Feed (the composite or a particular bank) best matches Interactive brokers data feed?

Also, I like to see my charts in increments of 1 pip. Is this impossible with NT if I have IB as my broker?

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post XXtrader  
                              Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes