Historical Data - puzzlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Data - puzzlement

As a test - I uninstalled NT 7.0.1000.11 and deleted the entire Ninja Trader 7 folder so no historical data would be retained

I then installed NT 7.0.1000.12 and set tools/options/data/'Save Chart Data as Historical' = Yes

Step 1: Connect to Kinetick and opened a daily chart for ES0313 - 1 Day (Feb 19, 2013)
    Open historical data manager and export the data:
    Date 2/19/2013
    Open 1516
    High 1529
    Low 1515.25
    Close 1528
    Volume 1498369

Step 2 Disconnect Kinetick and connect to ZenFire
    Open a daily chart for the same day ES0313 1 Day (Feb 19, 2013)
    Open historical data manager and export the data
    Date 2/19/2013
    Open 1519.50
    High 1528.75
    Low 1519.50
    Close 1528
    Volume 1161624

Step 3 Check the CME provided daily data for ES0313 1 Day (Feb 19, 2013)
    Date 2/19/2013
    Open 1516
    High 1529
    Low 1515.25
    Close 1528
    Volume 1498174

Any thoughts on the discrepancies with the Zenfire data and the volumes on all 3?
    Thanks in advance

Originally posted by mgabriel01 View Post
    As a test - I uninstalled NT 7.0.1000.11 and deleted the entire Ninja Trader 7 folder so no historical data would be retained

I then installed NT 7.0.1000.12 and set tools/options/data/'Save Chart Data as Historical' = Yes

Step 1: Connect to Kinetick and opened a daily chart for ES0313 - 1 Day (Feb 19, 2013)
    Open historical data manager and export the data:
    Date 2/19/2013
    Open 1516
    High 1529
    Low 1515.25
    Close 1528
    Volume 1498369

Step 2 Disconnect Kinetick and connect to ZenFire
    Open a daily chart for the same day ES0313 1 Day (Feb 19, 2013)
    Open historical data manager and export the data
    Date 2/19/2013
    Open 1519.50
    High 1528.75
    Low 1519.50
    Close 1528
    Volume 1161624

Step 3 Check the CME provided daily data for ES0313 1 Day (Feb 19, 2013)
    Date 2/19/2013
    Open 1516
    High 1529
    Low 1515.25
    Close 1528
    Volume 1498174

Any thoughts on the discrepancies with the Zenfire data and the volumes on all 3?
    Thanks in advance
    Apologies - meant to attach the screenshots
    Here they are
    Attached Files

Comment

With Zen-Fire daily bars are recorded in RTH (Regular Trading Hours) rather than ETH (Electronic Trading Hours) to our servers. Kinetick is ETH.

Since they are recorded in RTH they can only be provided in RTH.
      To be able to view daily bars with Zen-Fire in ETH you have two options:
      1) Open a 1440 minute based chart (1440 minutes in a day) and use an ETH (Electronic Trading Hours), Default 24/7, or Default 24/5 Session Template.
      2) Use the Kinetick End of Day free feed and use an ETH (Electronic Trading Hours), Default 24/7, or Default 24/5 Session Template.
      The Kinetick is as follows:
      • From the Control Center -> File -> Disconnect -> your Zen-Fire connection
      • File -> Connect -> Kinetick End of Day
      • File -> Connect -> Your Zen-Fire connection
      This will now make Kinetick be set to retrieve the data before Zen-Fire.
      LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Lance View Post
        With Zen-Fire daily bars are recorded in RTH (Regular Trading Hours) rather than ETH (Electronic Trading Hours) to our servers. Kinetick is ETH.

Since they are recorded in RTH they can only be provided in RTH.
        To be able to view daily bars with Zen-Fire in ETH you have two options:
        1) Open a 1440 minute based chart (1440 minutes in a day) and use an ETH (Electronic Trading Hours), Default 24/7, or Default 24/5 Session Template.
        2) Use the Kinetick End of Day free feed and use an ETH (Electronic Trading Hours), Default 24/7, or Default 24/5 Session Template.
        The Kinetick is as follows:
        • From the Control Center -> File -> Disconnect -> your Zen-Fire connection
        • File -> Connect -> Kinetick End of Day
        • File -> Connect -> Your Zen-Fire connection
        This will now make Kinetick be set to retrieve the data before Zen-Fire.
        I wish we had an option to build daily data from intraday data.

Because the daily data is treated as separate form intraday data, we are stuck with the session template of the data provider.

Session template control is one of the strongest features of NT.

The 1440 minute workaround doesn't work that well, because during rollover there is no minute data sent by my data providor, also there are missing minutes from time to time during the inevitable internet disconnects that occur during a week or month.

Those missing minutes throw off the substitute daily bars and the errors compound and buildup over time..... when you want to know what the 200 day moving average is today from 1440 minute bars, the number returned by the average of 1440 minute bars will be several points above/below the actual number the rest of the market is trading from.

If date were taken into account as well as the session template and number of minutes, we could get daily bars that more closely matched the actual daily bar. The only time they would be off would be those very rare instances when the high or low of the day occurred on a missing minute.

What kills me is that my data provider MB Trading's currency daily bars include an unwanted daily bar for the half day Sunday session.... and then draws six daily bars for one week... Since this is not what the market as a whole looks at when calculating things like the 200 day moving average, the MB daily data is useless to me.
        Last edited by Crassius; 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks Lance. Understood
          Also helpful to know that the Daily bars are not built from the intraday data.
          Is that feature planned in a future release?
          Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Crassius View Post
            I wish we had an option to build daily data from intraday data.

Because the daily data is treated as separate form intraday data, we are stuck with the session template of the data provider.

Session template control is one of the strongest features of NT.

The 1440 minute workaround doesn't work that well, because during rollover there is no minute data sent by my data providor, also there are missing minutes from time to time during the inevitable internet disconnects that occur during a week or month.

Those missing minutes throw off the substitute daily bars and the errors compound and buildup over time..... when you want to know what the 200 day moving average is today from 1440 minute bars, the number returned by the average of 1440 minute bars will be several points above/below the actual number the rest of the market is trading from.

If date were taken into account as well as the session template and number of minutes, we could get daily bars that more closely matched the actual daily bar. The only time they would be off would be those very rare instances when the high or low of the day occurred on a missing minute.

What kills me is that my data provider MB Trading's currency daily bars include an unwanted daily bar for the half day Sunday session.... and then draws six daily bars for one week... Since this is not what the market as a whole looks at when calculating things like the 200 day moving average, the MB daily data is useless to me.
            Why not just create a custom Session Template that removes the time span that covers the data that you do not want to see?

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              Why not just create a custom Session Template that removes the time span that covers the data that you do not want to see?
              It is possible that I am doing something wrong, but I have a template that is:

5PM Sunday to 5PM Monday
              5PM Monday to 5PM Tues
              5PM Tues to 5PM Wed
              5PM Wed to 5PM Thurs
              5PM Thurs to 5PM Fri

I would think that the session template system would take the daily bars reported by MB and fit them into this template, giving five daily bars in a week.

But it does not work.

It has been awhile since I tried, but I will do it this week and document what happens, but missing bars and incorrectly drawn bars happen as we cross midnight.

If this is different from what you are suggesting please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by mgabriel01 View Post
                Thanks Lance. Understood
                Also helpful to know that the Daily bars are not built from the intraday data.
                Is that feature planned in a future release?
                Thanks again
                The period for the daily data is NOT a feature of NinjaTrader, but a feature related to your data provider. You would need to contact them if you wish to have this data sent to include the ETH.

Comment

Originally posted by Crassius View Post
                  It is possible that I am doing something wrong, but I have a template that is:

5PM Sunday to 5PM Monday
                  5PM Monday to 5PM Tues
                  5PM Tues to 5PM Wed
                  5PM Wed to 5PM Thurs
                  5PM Thurs to 5PM Fri

I would think that the session template system would take the daily bars reported by MB and fit them into this template, giving five daily bars in a week.

But it does not work.

It has been awhile since I tried, but I will do it this week and document what happens, but missing bars and incorrectly drawn bars happen as we cross midnight.

If this is different from what you are suggesting please elaborate.
                  The session template here would be dependent on the instrument. In your case you also mentioned not wanting to include Sunday daily data. If that's the case your first line could be the cause of your error.

You may want to start with something like the Default 24/5 template and adjust accordingly. However I'd need to know your goal and instrument name to provide more info.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Lance View Post
                    The session template here would be dependent on the instrument. In your case you also mentioned not wanting to include Sunday daily data. If that's the case your first line could be the cause of your error.

You may want to start with something like the Default 24/5 template and adjust accordingly. However I'd need to know your goal and instrument name to provide more info.
                    I want the Sunday data, I just want it in a bar that opens at 5PM Sunday and closes at 5PM Monday... that would be the first "day" of my desired five day, five daily bar week.

I want to avoid having a close of bar at Midnight Sunday so that indicators with CalcualteOnBarClose = true don't consider the Open (at 5pm Sun) to Midnight Sunday as one "day".

The instrument is EUR/USD.

Its been a while since I last gave up trying to get them to draw the way I want them to. I will try this week and post here my results, because I don't remember exactly how or when things go awry.
                    Last edited by Crassius; 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I tested our MB Trading Forex Connection and used the default template (Forex) which spans from 5PM Sunday to 5PM Monday and it is properly displaying the open and the first bar of these week has not closed yet.

Let me know if you see different. (please include your local time zone if you do)

Comment

It will get messed up later in the week....

I am taking detailed notes and screenshots to try to get to the bottom of this... I will keep you posted.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
                        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
                        6 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post xiinteractive