Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a basic strategy example

Hey guys,

I am having a difficult time building up to a strategy from scratch, and also breaking a bigger strategy down to what I am looking for. Tried to find some help on google, but can't define what I am looking for in a simple manner. I was hoping I could get some help!

Basically, I am looking for a simple strategy that buys into dips at incremental percentages, stores each purchase as an individual lot, and then sells each lot at a profit target. No indicators other than price moves are necessary, just buy the first lot on open. I'll wait as long as it takes for the price to come back up. This is for stocks I am comfortable going long on based on a fundamental analysis. Example:

- Buy GOOG at $100
    - Buy GOOG at $90
    - Buy GOOG at $80

Next, Google price goes up $15

- Sell GOOG at $90

Next Google starts going down again

-Buy GOOG at $80

Then, Google Bulls again

-Sell GOOG at $90
    -Sell GOOG at $100
    -Sell GOOG at $110

It seems simple, like there should be a strategy name for it or some kind of basic starting place. I can add tweaks from here. Oh, and I want to buy as many lots as it takes to buy into the dip. I'll take 100 lots.

Thanks in advanced!

Originally posted by dmkinv123 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am having a difficult time building up to a strategy from scratch, and also breaking a bigger strategy down to what I am looking for. Tried to find some help on google, but can't define what I am looking for in a simple manner. I was hoping I could get some help!

Basically, I am looking for a simple strategy that buys into dips at incremental percentages, stores each purchase as an individual lot, and then sells each lot at a profit target. No indicators other than price moves are necessary, just buy the first lot on open. I'll wait as long as it takes for the price to come back up. This is for stocks I am comfortable going long on based on a fundamental analysis. Example:

- Buy GOOG at $100
    - Buy GOOG at $90
    - Buy GOOG at $80

Next, Google price goes up $15

- Sell GOOG at $90

Next Google starts going down again

-Buy GOOG at $80

Then, Google Bulls again

-Sell GOOG at $90
    -Sell GOOG at $100
    -Sell GOOG at $110

It seems simple, like there should be a strategy name for it or some kind of basic starting place. I can add tweaks from here. Oh, and I want to buy as many lots as it takes to buy into the dip. I'll take 100 lots.

Thanks in advanced!

IOW:
    1. Buy every time that GOOG dips by $10.00 from the last buy and sell every time that GOOG rises $10.00, if we are actually long.
    2. Limit position to a total 100 entries at any given time.
    Is that what you mean? Once stated that way, you simply have to write the pseudocode for it, then translate it to C#.

Comment

Your right, that would work for my simple example. Let me try again. What I am trying to show is that I need to store my entry prices (or at least exit targets) for each lot in order for my strategy to work. This needs to be stored overnight, so that when I start up in the morning it will pickup where it left off.

What I will ultimately be doing will be setting profit goals based on my own mathematical formula. If I buy google at 90, I might calculate a $12 goal, and set a sales target of $102. If the price keeps dropping, I might buy at $80 and set a $15 goal with a target of $95. I would either need to store my entry prices or my exit targets for each lot individually in some file somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dmkinv123 View Post
        Your right, that would work for my simple example. Let me try again. What I am trying to show is that I need to store my entry prices (or at least exit targets) for each lot in order for my strategy to work. This needs to be stored overnight, so that when I start up in the morning it will pickup where it left off.

What I will ultimately be doing will be setting profit goals based on my own mathematical formula. If I buy google at 90, I might calculate a $12 goal, and set a sales target of $102. If the price keeps dropping, I might buy at $80 and set a $15 goal with a target of $95. I would either need to store my entry prices or my exit targets for each lot individually in some file somewhere.
        If you want to store information, then you just need to store it. In this case, you want to store paired data: an entry price, and an exit price. The way that I would do it is to create a struct with 3 members, and fill it with the prices, and the signal name as each trade is triggered, then store the struct in an ArrayList. As each trade is exited, use OnExecution() to remove the corresponding entry in the ArrayList. That is just one way to do it, if you insist on keeping a record of every trade setup.

In reality, I fail to see the point, but then again, it is not my strategy, and I am sure you have your own reasons for why you want to do things in that manner. As for me, if I know where my profit exit is for a trade, I would just place the exit trade using a SetProfitTarget() or even an ExitLong(), at the time that the entry is triggered.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
        47 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post aligator  
        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post jaybedreamin