Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT starts but doesn't finish loading

Hello,
    I currently use Ninja7 on my work PC and it works well (wal-mart, all-in-one HP computer). It is not high-end by any stretch of the imagination, but it is running Windows 7.

Now I also installed Ninja7 on my home PC so I can trade in the evenings or early morning before I go to work. Last night, after several attempts, NT finally loaded displaying the control panel only. I created a chart, and added a few indicators (three I think), then saved my workspace and shut everything down. This morning I got up and turned on my PC, then launched NT7. The NT startup screen appeared, showing it was loading the various routines, then disappeared. After about 15 seconds I heard the chime, indicating a connection had been made, but then nothing more ever happened. No control panel, no charts, nothing.

When I open Windows Task Manager, the Ninjatrader.exe process is running, but no Application is shown. I checked the NT log and it shows license verified, connection made to CQG, etc.

I live in rural america and use satellite internet for my connection. I noticed last night, when I set up NT7, that I lost connection to the CQG servers about every 5 minutes. I don't know if that could effect things.

My home PC specs are:
    - Windows Vista
    - Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220, 2.42GHz
    - 3.0 GB Ram

The fact that I was able to get NT7 to fully load last night with no charts (and then I was able to add a chart), but not this morning with that same chart, makes me think it's a RAM issue (perhaps bogging down from loading the chart data), but I have 3.0 GB of RAM, so I thought I would ask you all if you had any ideas.

Thanks,
    Sean

Sean,

This doesn't sound like a memory issue and I can't imagine your workspace is using more than even 1GB of memory.

The behavior your outlined is usually a result of having your brokerage connection set to 'Connect on Startup' however it is unable to make the connection at that time.

We've seen trouble before with the satellite connections as the ping latency is too high during periods which prevents the connection from establishing.

To prevent this from causing issues with the application starting, I'd advise disabling the automatic connection under Tools--> Account Connections--> "Change" your current connection. From there, click next until you arrive on the 'connect on startup' option and uncheck this and finish the wizard.

This should at least allow you open the application when the data connection is not available.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks Matthew, I did have the "connect on startup" selected in my datafeed setup. I was never able to get NT7 to launch again, so I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it to reset everything. This time, I did not check the "connect on startup" box, and now NT7 launches normally. You're correct about the terrible latency with satellite internet. It's one of the few drawbacks I find in living the country life. Thank you for your help!

- Sean

Comment

... I'm having the same problem, except how do i disable connect at startup IF I can;'t start up?

is there some text file I should edit?

Comment

Hello,
          You can edit the Config.xml file to disable the connect on startup. The Config.xml file is found in (My) Documents-> NinjaTrader 7.
          If you like I can edit this for you so that it does not connect on startup.
          Please send an email to [email protected] with the Config.xml file attached and put ATTN Cody in the subject.
          Cody B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

wow that really was the problem.. i edited it mysellf with notepad++ to disable the 2 connections that were true for startup

I suggest you fix this problem since i have the latest version and it still caused me problems

seems easy enough to fix for a programmer.. can just have the program disable connect at startup if it takes too long to startup or if the last time the program was run, it wasn't able to succcessfully load

Comment

i had cqg and fxcm demo connections, don't know which was the culprit

everything was fine until i had major internet connection problems today.. but this problem started because of that but persisted even after my internet was running full speed again

Comment

ok, it's the cqg connection...

I still can't connect to it.

Maybe demo expires after a while?

Comment

Hello,
                  I will submit to our development team a way to change the connect on startup without opening NinjaTrader or editing the file.
                  The demo accounts with Brokers do expire you will need to contact your broker to receive a new one and how long they last.
                  If I can be of any other assistance please let me know.

Comment

it's not really the editing thats the big problem, it's the having to google to find out why I'm staring at a blank screen. So even just an error message dialog would be helpful

Comment

Hello,
                      I will submit to our development team to include an error message for when this occurs for future versions of NinjaTrader.
                      If I can be of any other assistance please let me know.

Comment

Further more on editing yourself. I think this may be a weekend only problem for most. It is very very easy to fix. Just find the file as directed above and right mouse click and then choose edit. Just be careful once in there. There are numerous "Connect on Startup" triggers. They are found almost at the bottom of the file. Look for the one you are using, then just change to "false". Then click File, Save at the top. you are almost done. Be sure to remove the Ninja application from running in the task manager and then restart. You are there!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                        3 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                        Started by lorem, Today, 09:18 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post lorem