Sharing NT Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing NT Installation

My wife and I want to trade from the same computer, but at different times and using the same data feed. Is it possible for us to connect to the one NT installation from two different user profiles? I assume that one user would have to log out from NT and the respective profile, stopping the data feed, and then the other user would log in using his or her profile.

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for your post.

Are you trading into a live account or using the SIM101 account in NinjaTrader?

If you are using the SIM 101 account, can you please clarify if you are using a live license or free simulated license key?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sim 101 with free, simulated license.
      We don't mind using the same Sim 101 acct if necessary. When we were using two computers, we each used our own sim license.

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Thank you for clarification.

Using the same SIM101 account will combine your trade results, no matter what, and you will not really be able to separate trades made by you or your wife. If you are okay with this, nothing needs to be changed other then use of different workspaces for each of your respective trading needs. Control Center > File > Workpaces, to manage, create, and toggle between workspaces.

If this is an issue, you can purchase or lease a license key, then create different SIM accounts so each of you can trade into your own practice trading accounts and have your own separate performance reports.

In either scenario, it will not be necessary to disconnect or shutdown NInjaTrader. You will just toggle workspaces in scenario 1, or toggle between sim accounts in order entry windows for scenario 2.

Please let me know I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Keeping them in the same account is fine. I just thought that all of the NT info was kept within a Win user profile, under Documents.
          It would seem to me that NT will look inside our individual profiles for info when we log on to the system and we want to log on using our individual Win 7 profiles.

Comment

Hello sgordet,

Correct, NinjaTrader utilizes each individual Windows Profile as a separate setup. Each users NinjaTrader setup would reside in their perspective 'My Documents' folder under their individual user account.

LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

So how can we utilize the same data and set of workspaces or at least the same data?
              That was my original question.

Comment

Hi sgordet,

NinjaTrader is hard coded to save all user setting within the users 'My Documents' directory. To share the same settings you will need to redirect the 'My Documents' so that both are pointing to the same location.

You could point one user to the others c:\users\%username%\Documents or you could point both users to a base location such as c:\Shared-Documents.

Please uninstall NinjaTrader before redirecting your My Documents, The below Microsoft document will assist you in redirecting your My Documents -
                Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

LowellSenior IT Manager

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by fitspressoburnfat, Today, 04:25 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post fitspressoburnfat  
                Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
                1 response