Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on using NT for automated trading on IB

Hi,

I am evaluating if Ninjatrader fulfills my needs to buy a licence to use it for automated trading. Here are my questions:

1. Can I connect to IB account #1 for real time data + Yahoo for historical data and then put an automated strategy trading on IB account #2 that doesn't have real-time data? How will NT deal with the message I get on IB warning that I am giving an order without having real time data?

2. Can I trade on multiple different IB accounts the same automated strategy using different numbers of shares for each?

3. Can I trade using an IB Family & Friends account? If so will it use the ratio for each account defined on the TWS?

Hope you can clarify all my doubts so I can decide if I buy the NT license.

Regards,

ajcpereira

Hello ajcpereira,

Thanks for your note.

1) Yes, if you connect to yahoo before connecting to IB you will be able to use the IB account that does not have live data. The error message in TWS will not occur.
    That being said, if you do experience issues with this contact support and we will be able to resolve the issue.

2) You cannot use a single instance of a NinjaScript strategy on multiple accounts or group accounts. You will need to use separate instances of that strategy for each account you would like the strategy to trade to.

3) You can trade the sub accounts that are part of the advisory (friends and family) account. However, you will not be able to use the ratios defined in TWS. You will also not be able to trade to the master advisory account. You can, however, set up a group account in NinjaTrader that includes all of the sub accounts to trade to all of the sub accounts simultaneously.

The following link is to the help guide on Account Groups.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...unt_groups.htm

Please let me know if this does not resolve your inquiry.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello ChelseaB,

I still have some doubts regarding your answers:

1. So if I understood well: I will connect to Yahoo (historical data) and then to IB account #1 (real time data). After being connected to both for data I can connect to IB account #2 to put the automated strategy running. Is it like this?

2. So can I activate the same strategy twice? One to trade through one account and the other to trade through other account?

3. On topic 2. you wrote: "You cannot use a single instance of a NinjaScript strategy on multiple accounts or group accounts. " and answering topic 3. you wrote "You can, however, set up a group account in NinjaTrader that includes all of the sub accounts to trade to all of the sub accounts simultaneously.". So can I trade group accounts or not?

Thanks for your help.

ajcpereira

Comment

Originally posted by ajcpereira View Post
        1. So if I understood well: I will connect to Yahoo (historical data) and then to IB account #1 (real time data). After being connected to both for data I can connect to IB account #2 to put the automated strategy running. Is it like this?
        This is correct

2. So can I activate the same strategy twice? One to trade through one account and the other to trade through other account?
        This is correct. You can have a different instance run on a different account. Just re-add the strategy.

3. On topic 2. you wrote: "You cannot use a single instance of a NinjaScript strategy on multiple accounts or group accounts. " and answering topic 3. you wrote "You can, however, set up a group account in NinjaTrader that includes all of the sub accounts to trade to all of the sub accounts simultaneously.". So can I trade group accounts or not?
        You can trade a strategy onto different accounts by creating separate instances of the strategy.

The group account feature is used for placing a trade to multiple accounts but will not let you manage the accounts jointly. http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...unt_groups.htm
        LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is there a way to reference the account name for my managed accts instead of the acct number. So when I select a strategy to run for my client i just want to see his name and not the account number in the drop down is that possible? - thx

Comment

Hello hifreq,

It would not be possible to use an account alias in NinjaTrader.
            Accounts will be listed by the account number as they are received from the broker.
            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by RubenCazorla, 08-30-2022, 06:36 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post PaulMohn  
            Started by f.saeidi, Yesterday, 12:14 PM
            9 responses
            0 likes