Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Need help getting started writing a User Defined Method [or maybe just an Indicator?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help getting started writing a User Defined Method [or maybe just an Indicator?]

I recently downloaded NT and I now want to write a User Defined Method. I have no idea how NT is designed to fit my User Designed Method into its grand design.

Information, suggestions, etc. to help me get started will be much appreciated.
    For instance, a response to the following will be very helpful:
    - links to such things as info in user guides, documentation, Forums, etc.
    - it appears that I must write the User Designed Method in Visual Basic [which I can do……barely] & that the resulting VB program is not compiled but is run in Interpreter mode. In the meantime I will continue to search for answers – I don’t mean to try to just dump this on you guys.

3 QUESTIONS:
    1. Do I write the code within NT, resolving error messages presented to me by NT until it is error free, or do I write it with my own standalone VB program and then copy/paste the User Designed Method code into my newly created NT User Designed Method? [Or is my perception of all this way off the mark?}

2. what is the difference between a User Designed Method and an Indicator?

3.Now I’m thinking maybe I just need to define or write the code for an Indicator and not for a Strategy?

Originally posted by joemiller View Post
    I recently downloaded NT and I now want to write a User Defined Method. I have no idea how NT is designed to fit my User Designed Method into its grand design.

Information, suggestions, etc. to help me get started will be much appreciated.
    For instance, a response to the following will be very helpful:
    - links to such things as info in user guides, documentation, Forums, etc.
    - it appears that I must write the User Designed Method in Visual Basic [which I can do……barely] & that the resulting VB program is not compiled but is run in Interpreter mode. In the meantime I will continue to search for answers – I don’t mean to try to just dump this on you guys.

3 QUESTIONS:
    1. Do I write the code within NT, resolving error messages presented to me by NT until it is error free, or do I write it with my own standalone VB program and then copy/paste the User Designed Method code into my newly created NT User Designed Method? [Or is my perception of all this way off the mark?}

2. what is the difference between a User Designed Method and an Indicator?

3.Now I’m thinking maybe I just need to define or write the code for an Indicator and not for a Strategy?
    1. Using the NT Editor, open the UserDefinedMethods file.
    2. Right-click in the Editor window, and chose to "Save As ..." from the popup menu.
    3. Name the file.
    4. Create your methods, using C#, as the partial class where indicated.

Comment

THANKS. Very helpful. Also, can/should I use Ninjascript?

THANKS A HEAP! That is very very useful in launching me in a direction in which I can start pawing around knowing that I am on the right track. saves me loads of time.

I just ran across the term 'NinjaScript'. Should I spend time learning about it? Sounds like it might make it easier to create strategies and indicators?

Comment

Originally posted by joemiller View Post
        THANKS A HEAP! That is very very useful in launching me in a direction in which I can start pawing around knowing that I am on the right track. saves me loads of time.

I just ran across the term 'NinjaScript'. Should I spend time learning about it? Sounds like it might make it easier to create strategies and indicators?
        Yes and no. NinjaScript is a dialect of C#, so to speak. It is C#, with wrappers generated by NinjaTrader to handle some specific NinjaTrader niceties.

Ultimately, you need to handle NinjaScript because it is targeted at NinjaTrader, but if you have facility at C#, you will soon find NinjaScript somewhat limiting, and find yourself having to use C# directly.

YMMV.

Comment

two out of two outstanding replies. once again, many thanks.

As before, you understood what & why I was asking .... quickly replying and nailing it dead on.
          Saves me loads of time & learning curve hassle.
          Joe Miller

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DJ888
          by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
          0 responses