Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Which broker/data provider for testing algorithmic trading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which broker/data provider for testing algorithmic trading?

Greetings,
    I am a software developer working in the field of healthcare, and both my job and my ongoing PhD has strong focus on machine learning and probabilistic computation.
    I wanted to find out about the way algorithmic trading works (not hft though) with a more hands on approach, and after some research, NinjaTrader came out as the best option as a research workbench.
    However, the data provider side of things is a bit confusing. I am looking for a data provider for mainly stock data, and forex would be a nice addition. Obviously, historical data would be really nice.
    There are many brokers/providers out there, but so far I could not find one that offers the following:
    1) a time limitless demo/virtual account for stocks
    2) Usable by NinjaTrader.

I am going to work on the topic as a hobby, and I'll probably not touch it for weeks some times, so having a demo account that does not expire would be nice.Obviously, the finer grained the quotes are, the better, etc etc.

Is there a broker/data source that fits the definition above?

Regards
    Seref

Hello Seref,

You can load end-of-day data (historical daily data) for stocks using the free Kinetick EOD connection. It is present by default in NinjaTrader at Control Center-->File-->Connect. It is limited to historical daily data, so it will not provide real-time data or historical tick and minute data.

Please see the link below under 'Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider' which will list all supported data feed providers and what data they support.

The matrix will list 'data feeds only' such as Kinetick and DTN IQFeed, but it lists broker technologies as well such as Zen-Fire and CQG.

The broker technologies can only be used if you have an account at a supported broker partner that uses the broker technology in question. They will provide data in NinjaTrader and will allow you to trade your account at your broker.

The 'data feeds only' will only provide data in NinjaTrader. You will need to have a subscription with one of these data providers to obtain login information, which you enter upon creating a connection.

As per NinjaTrader 7, our preferred market data service is Kinetick. Real time service starts as low as $50 per month. If you trade CME Globex products, you can have these exchange fees waived if you have a qualified brokerage account. This service is only available for NinjaTrader 7. Please visit www.kinetick.com for more detailed information.

The Yahoo and Google connections are free to create. They only provide historical daily data as well.

Yahoo

Google
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason,
      Kinetick looks quite useful with 10 years of data. I've come across news related to Google's live stock price offering from LSE: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...e-7280790.html
      Is this a service that NinjaTrader is going to support/is supporting?

Regards
      Seref

Comment

Unfortunately real-time data is not supported with Google - only historical daily data.

I am not aware if this service will be supported in NinjaTrader.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by techgetgame, Yesterday, 11:42 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post techgetgame  
        Started by sephichapdson, Yesterday, 11:36 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes