Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Interactive Brokers connection

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help. I have been using IB and NT for months without any problem, just recently i have set up a separate account to run algos and discretionary trading under 2 separate account number, basically now in IB TWS i am able to view the 2 separate accounts, or the full picture, so basically i enter my accounts with the same login and password. Since the 2 accounts are set-up i often have problems connecting IB to NT7 via API. NT says "connecting to Interactive Brokers" but actually doesnt connect. This happens not always, but it is quite frustrating. For example now my connection dropped and i am unable to reconnect. I've rebooted my pc and emptied the cashe folder in ninjatrader7>db. Any suggestion to get the connection up again?

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Do you currently only have Mosaic open? If so can you please go to New Window-->Advanced Order Managerment (TWS) and let me know if you can then connect.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Do you currently only have Mosaic open? If so can you please go to New Window-->Advanced Order Managerment (TWS) and let me know if you can then connect.
      Chris,
      I am already in TWS, I tried going back to Mosaic and following your instructioms but I don't see the Advance Order Management option, could this be because TWS is already open on my desktop?

Comment

This option will only be seen if you have Mosaic open. If you have TWS open this will be fine for connecting within NinjaTrader.

Can you tell me what version of NinjaTrader you have installed which can be found under Help-->About.

Also can you tell me what version of TWS are you using? You can check under TWS -> Help -> About -> Scroll to the Build #.

Comment

This option will only be seen if you have Mosaic open. If you have TWS open this will be fine for connecting within NinjaTrader.

Can you tell me what version of NinjaTrader you have installed which can be found under Help-->About.

Also can you tell me what version of TWS are you using? You can check under TWS -> Help -> About -> Scroll to the Build #.
          TWS built 921.5
          Ninjatrader 7.0.1000.10

Please not all was working up to 2 hours ago, i have been having this isseu sincce i requested IB for a new account linked to my existing, as described below.

Comment

Originally posted by sburtt View Post
            TWS built 921.5
            Ninjatrader 7.0.1000.10

Please not all was working up to 2 hours ago, i have been having this isseu sincce i requested IB for a new account linked to my existing, as described below.
            Basically when i click on file>connect>interactive broker, then the API pops up on TWS i then click yes but nothing happens. Last monday i had a similar issue, i then shut down the PC and the following morning it was working fine. However this issue is quite frustrating

Comment

Any idea? Ever seen somebody with a similar problem?

Comment

First please upgrade to NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.12 with the steps I have provided below. With this procedure you will not lose any Workspaces, Charts, etc.
                • Close all running applications.
                • Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
                • From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 7 and click Remove.
                • Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).
                • Reboot your machine.
                • Once these steps are completed, download NT 7.0.1000.12 from the link below:
                Download

With the current version of NinjaTrader, it is critical that you use TWS version 927.7. Please uninstall your existing version via the Windows Control Panel, and then install 927.7 via the following link:

Once TWS 927.7 has been installed, please ensure that the configuration in our Connection Guide for TWS has been completed.

The following link will take you to a page that details the steps required for creating a connection to Interactive Brokers and specific connection configuration information.

Click here to take me to the Interactive Brokers Connection Guide

Next open NinjaTrader and connect to IB.

Comment

First please upgrade to NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.12 with the steps I have provided below. With this procedure you will not lose any Workspaces, Charts, etc.
                  • Close all running applications.
                  • Then from the Start menu select --> Control Panel --> Add and Remove Programs.
                  • From Add and Remove Programs select NinjaTrader 7 and click Remove.
                  • Then you will need to clear your internet browser cache and history. You will clear this from within your internet browser (with IE, Tools-->Options, delete cookies and files, clear history).
                  • Reboot your machine.
                  • Once these steps are completed, download NT 7.0.1000.12 from the link below:
                  Download

With the current version of NinjaTrader, it is critical that you use TWS version 927.7. Please uninstall your existing version via the Windows Control Panel, and then install 927.7 via the following link:

Once TWS 927.7 has been installed, please ensure that the configuration in our Connection Guide for TWS has been completed.

The following link will take you to a page that details the steps required for creating a connection to Interactive Brokers and specific connection configuration information.

Click here to take me to the Interactive Brokers Connection Guide

Next open NinjaTrader and connect to IB.
                  I must say thanks, its working now, and with the change it kept all my settings thanks

Comment

You're welcome and glad to hear that did the trick.

Comment

You're welcome and glad to hear that did the trick.
                      Chris,

I also notice one other issue, that is currently persisting despite I've updated both NT7 and IB TWS. Often (not always) when I close a position, hence I am flat, on the position tab in NT7 I still see the position open and relative p&l. However if I double check in IB I am actually flat. I am aware of the issue, hence don't really bother looking at the position in NT7, however it can be misleading for others and myself if I am distracted. This only started happening after I have set-up a second account number with Interactive Brokers.

Just to give you an example, assume I have a long position of 50,000 EUR.JPY @ 130.10, assume I sell 50,000 EURJPY at market, I would still be seeing the live position in the position tab in NT7. However if I sell 100,000 EURJPY, I would now see a short postion of 50,000 EURJPY at new market rate. Basically the bug persists only when I flatten a position, not if I add or reduce to an existing position.

Any idea how I can sort this issue out? Thanks

Comment

Currently when trading multiple accounts within the same IB connection, accounts are updated one by one as provided thru the IB API.

The only work around available at this time is to have your accounts setup by IB to have seperate login credentials for each account then create seperate connections for each within NinjaTrader.

If you decide to make this change please let me know and I would be happy to provide the specific steps to get both connections configured.

Comment

Currently when trading multiple accounts within the same IB connection, accounts are updated one by one as provided thru the IB API.

The only work around available at this time is to have your accounts setup by IB to have seperate login credentials for each account then create seperate connections for each within NinjaTrader.

If you decide to make this change please let me know and I would be happy to provide the specific steps to get both connections configured.
                          Chris, I hear you. But this issue here is different. For example, assume I have 2 accounts (account A and account B) and a single login. Lets say I am long 100,000 EURJPY on account A and short 50,000 USDSEK on account B. Now assume I flatten all positions via NT7. NT7 will effectively flatten all position, however in the position tab I will still be visualising the positions as if I was still running risk. This is an issue and could be misleading. Have you ever heared of somebody having the same problem? If i shut down ans restart NT7 the positions are correctly visualized as flat.

Comment

All executions sent to IB will be real time therefore your account in TWS will show Flat however the callback from IB to NinjaTrader is updated in the 'round robin' approach at different intervals determined by the TWS API.

Currently with this configuration the only way to force an update to all accounts being used is to disconnect then reconnect once again.

Comment

I'm having this same issue and frankly it really makes NT very risky and borderline unusable with IB. I have an Advisor Master account with IB with 5 accounts. Anytime I'm trading in more than one account, I can no longer trust anything that chart trader shows in terms of actual open positions. The only way to "clean" it up is to disconnect and reconnect and then switch back all my charts from SIM to there appropriate account number... by the time you get that done markets move and you miss entries/exits. Even worse, walking away and coming back and seeing chart trader, thinking one thing, but in reality another has happened and then trading off the wrong assumption... I've lost money because of this fatal flaw!! Now, of course, I double check everything with TWS. I used to do that anyway from time to time, but now I have to do it ALL the time.

I really do hope something can be done to fix this problem.

All executions sent to IB will be real time therefore your account in TWS will show Flat however the callback from IB to NinjaTrader is updated in the 'round robin' approach at different intervals determined by the TWS API.

Currently with this configuration the only way to force an update to all accounts being used is to disconnect then reconnect once again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse