Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can size of NinjaTrader.SDF file affect NT platform performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can size of NinjaTrader.SDF file affect NT platform performance?

Hello, can the file size of the Ninjatrader.SDF file (the one in "My Documents"/db folder that contains historical trade and executions data, etc.) possibly affect the performance of the entire NT platform, specifically the time it takes NT to receive signals from "Tradestation platform" and then send the order out to our broker? The current size of our Ninjatrader.SDF file is 15 MB in size. A brand new Ninjatrader.sdf file (upon fresh installation) is about 5 MB in size. Thank you in advance.

We have seen cases where the size of the database file has contributed to performance issues. However, this is usually when the database file reaches > 100MB.

I can't imagine at 15MB database file would be the culprit in this behavior, but I suppose it's possible depending on what is stored in the database.

When you reset the DB and it's 5MB, how do things perform?

How long of a delay are you seeing? Who is the broker?
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hi Matthew, thanks for reply. About 20% of the time NT is taking about 5 seconds just to send the order to R.J. O'brien futures broker (Pats connection), and this 5 seconds is costing me thousands of dollars in slippage as a result of the logn delay. I did a "DB Repair" and this reduced the file size from 15MB to 7 MB (why did this happen? what does a DB repair job actually do?), and the platform now seems much more snappier. only 1 order done since the new change and good so far in that order was sent and filled in about 1 second, which is about normal as I live in Australia. The main problem was that Ninja was real slow in receiving the signal (from tradestation) and sending the order from my PC to broker. In theory it should only take 100 milliseconds or less for Ninja app to simply "Send" the order once it receives the trade signal from tradestation platform. it then takes another 130 milliseconds for CME server to receive my order based on the pings i have done. What is you experience about all of these times? How long does it take for your orders to get filled?

Comment

Hello,

The Repair DB does a number of tasks, which are designed to result in a more compact and better structured database and will usually lower the size.

The amount of time it takes for the orders to filled depends on a number of dynamics.

With your specific setup, are you using the email interface or the DLL interface?

We find the email interface, while reliable, is slower than the DLL interface and performance will depend on the SMTP server you're using.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bmartz, Today, 09:30 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post bltdavid  
        Started by f.saeidi, Today, 11:02 AM
        1 response
        0 likes