How to manually produce a disconnection for testing purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to manually produce a disconnection for testing purposes

We are getting to the end of preparing a strategy to be run live. Part of the testing we want to do now is test our logic when the data or order feeds are disconnected. I thought I would be able to test this by just manually pulling my internet ethernet cord, but I've been told by NinjaTrader support that this not a "natural" disconnect and thus will not work for my purposes. (I outlined the issue I had by pulling the plug here)

What can I do to manually trigger a disconnection so I can test my disconnection logic?

Thanks for your time!

Shane

Originally posted by tickleboy View Post
    We are getting to the end of preparing a strategy to be run live. Part of the testing we want to do now is test our logic when the data or order feeds are disconnected. I thought I would be able to test this by just manually pulling my internet ethernet cord, but I've been told by NinjaTrader support that this not a "natural" disconnect and thus will not work for my purposes. (I outlined the issue I had by pulling the plug here)

What can I do to manually trigger a disconnection so I can test my disconnection logic?

Thanks for your time!

Shane
    Sorry, but that makes no sense. The computer has no way of knowing why there is a disconnection, and in any case ALL disconnections are physical. It should make no difference: if the downstream router cannot be reached anywhere between the client and the server, for whatever reason, there is no connection, period. Are we saying here that if the neighbor cut the cable while digging for potatoes, then there is no disconnection? What about if the cat trips and pulls the power cord on the router or switch? Once the cable is cut, or a device in the "client to server" path goes down, you have a disconnection. I guess you could try turning off a switch or router that is in the path, but it should not matter either way. There is no such thing as a "natural disconnect": a disconnection, is a disconnection, is a disconnection.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
      Sorry, but that makes no sense. The computer has no way of knowing why there is a disconnection, and in any case ALL disconnections are physical. It should make no difference: if the downstream router cannot be reached anywhere between the client and the server, for whatever reason, there is no connection, period. Are we saying here that if the neighbor cut the cable while digging for potatoes, then there is no disconnection? What about if the cat trips and pulls the power cord on the router or switch? Once the cable is cut, or a device in the "client to server" path goes down, you have a disconnection. I guess you could try turning off a switch or router that is in the path, but it should not matter either way. There is no such thing as a "natural disconnect": a disconnection, is a disconnection, is a disconnection.
      I agree 100% koganam. I have never heard of a natural disconnect and I quite dumbfounded by the whole ordeal.

What is even more confusing for me was that the data feed disconnects by then says that it has reconnected when the ethernet plug is still out.

NinjaSupport... can you help me understand please?

Comment

Allow me to clarify as I believe there may have been something miscommunicated here:

What development would not consider a valid test would be unplugging the the ethernet cable directly between the PC and your router/modem. Unplugging the ethernet cable from the PC is a detectable event from Windows where windows will actually disable the ethernet adapter when this occurs. Which is not a valid way to test reconnect logic in NinjaTrader.

While we understand this can happen due to a number of factors, there are a few events happening in the physical ethernet adapter and Windows that our connectivity adapters are not prepared to handle. I'm not sure if there will be improved handling in the next major release, but it's certainly something I will be looking out for as this seems to be the first logical way to test for a disconnect event.

A solid test would be disconnecting the source on the other side of the gateway; by unplugging the power to the modem or loosening the coax cable from the modem.

What we do in-house to simulate a disconnect event is block the ports connected to NinjaTrader.exe on through Windows Firewall. There are also some more advanced tests we have down with some custom router configurations to simulate dropped packets and data filtered that you may consider if you have experience this area.

I hope this helps. If you see any unusual behavior with any of these methods, let us know and we'd be happy to get it into development for clarification.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Aviram Y  
        Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes