Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second charts = Tick charts ?

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating NinjaTrader - and it looks great.

But:

I prefer using second charts. Unfortunately NinjaTrader does not seem to plot second charts correctly when the data feed does not provide new data every second.

Example
    - I'm trading forex (Gain, EFX). These sources will usually only send new data when the the quote changes. Often the market can be slow and there won't be new data for a few seconds. Which means: The quote won't change for a few seconds.

- NinjaTrader seems to not handle this correctly. When there is no new data for 5 seconds NinjaTrader simply won't plot the previous quote over 5 bars but instead it will skip 5 bars!

This of course, will mess up the indicators and chart - because its not a real second chart but rather a....tick second chart.

Recommended solution:
    If ninja trader does not receive new tick data while displaying a time interval (second) chart it should use the previous quote for the next bar.

If the interval is 1 second the chart should move to the left one bar every second.

You won't notice this for higher intervals like minutes or hours. But for second charts this is quite critical.

Or did I just miss a setting ?

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations

Comment

Thanks.

Is there a chance this will be fixed in final 6.5 ? Because I'd rather call this a bug than a feature request.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no ETA yet.

Comment

Just for others to easier understand:

Assuming the quote will change only 4 times within 30 seconds (NT only receiving four ticks), the seconds chart will look like this in NT:

\/\/

But it should look like this (for example):

\_______________/\__________________________________/

Comment

hi,

i realized the same! makes nt unusable for low time frames for me as a scalper. d'oh! besides that i love nt, but gotta use a different platform until this will be fixed.

is there a work-around maybe ? maybe by creating an indicator which forces nt to display time based bars when there is no new tick data?

Comment

Hi all,

I still experience the same problem, particularly on 1 second and 5 second charts.
              Do you have an idea about when it will be solved?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Eclipse,
                NinjaTrader is a event based application and if there is no incoming ticks then no bars will be created.

You can however build a custom BarsType to override this by building synthetic bars. You can contact any of our 3rd party NinjaScript consultants to build a custom bars type. You can get the list of our NinjaScript consultants from here http://www.ninjatrader.com/partners#...pt-Consultants
                JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Data for tick charts

Hello there,

Does ninja trader saves all the data downloaded automatically from data provider?
                  My tick charts 6B 03-13 looks weird. Can you comment?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello supersub,
                    Please make sure the option "Save chart data as historical" is checked in Tools>Options>Data tab to save real time data.

Also not all connectivity provider/brokers provide historical tick data. Please refer to the sections "Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider" from our help guide to know if your connectivity provider/broker provides historical tick data or not.
                    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                    Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
                    14 responses
                    0 likes