Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Which videos should I watch? Is there a 'line' function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which videos should I watch? Is there a 'line' function?

I’m not interested at present in trading from the charts [I get the impression one can do that?]. I would like to learn how to generate stuff for display on Strategy Analyzer charts such as dots and Lines and whatever else could be available and useful.
    Should I start by watching ‘chart’ videos and using the chart section of the Forum?

Regarding dots and lines, I have successfully used the ‘drawdot’ function [ie]
    //DrawDot("My dot" + CurrentBar, true, 0, High[0] + 2*TickSize, Color.Red);

I unsuccessfully searched for a function which would draw a curve thru those dots…..is there such a function?

Originally posted by joemiller View Post
    I’m not interested at present in trading from the charts [I get the impression one can do that?]. I would like to learn how to generate stuff for display on Strategy Analyzer charts such as dots and Lines and whatever else could be available and useful.
    Should I start by watching ‘chart’ videos and using the chart section of the Forum?

Regarding dots and lines, I have successfully used the ‘drawdot’ function [ie]
    //DrawDot("My dot" + CurrentBar, true, 0, High[0] + 2*TickSize, Color.Red);

I unsuccessfully searched for a function which would draw a curve thru those dots…..is there such a function?
    Not likely, unless you want to program your own Bezier curves. About the best you can do easily would be to join the dots with straight line segments.

Comment

Hello joemiller,

Thank you for your post.

You can trade from the Chart using Chart Trader: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...art_trader.htm

So you wish to add drawing objects to your chart manually or via NinjaScript on the charts in the Strategy Analyzer?

There is no method to draw a curve via NinjaScript. However, using unsupported code you may be able to achieve this using the DrawCurve method in C#: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.90).aspx

You can also view a sample of custom plotting by going to Tools > Edit NinjaScript > indicator > CustomPlotSample.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

thanks, that helps a lot ....it will keep me from going down some blind alleys.
        I noticed that a moving average indicator was displayed on a strategy analyzer chart so can I write an indicator which [for conversation example only] would for instance plot a one day moving average of the closes and therefor pass thru the close of every bar?

do you agree that it sounds like I should watch an 'indicator' video?

should I spend time watching a 'chart' video?

I will go to the CustomPlotSample soon as I can, that one sounds like a good one

your kind of help is invaluable and is much appreciated.

Comment

Hello joemiller,

Thank you for your response.

I am not sure what you mean by passing a one day moving average. Are you looking for a moving average calculated from Daily bars but plotted on another series? Or are you running the backtest on the Daily bars and will add a 1 period moving average to the charts in the Strategy Analyzer charts?

I cannot say for certain where you need to begin on this. If you having trouble with charting I definitely recommend our charting webinar series.
          For NinjaScript training we have Premium Paid Educational events where you will join a NinjaScript expert for a pair of 6-8 hour long intensive courses designed to provide you with an in depth look at programming indicators and automated strategies through the use of NinjaScript: http://www.ninjatrader.com/PremiumEducation.php

If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript on your own, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started with Ninja Script. You will find language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. You will also see a tutorial section which will help you create your first indicator and get you started with some of these concepts.

A link to our Help Guide can be found below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm

You will find Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies:
          Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples
          Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

If you have limited time or programming capabilities, you can discuss your requirements with any of our certified NinjaScript consultants.
          Click here for a list of certified NinjaScript Consultants

Comment

lots of good stuff in that reply.

regarding a one day ma, I was wondering if for example a ten day ma of the closes slowly responds to daily changes and is displayed as a continuous line, then a one day ma would be a continuous line thru the closes....thus accomplishing the objective of displaying a line thru the closes. assuming the software accepts a request for a one day ma.

anyhow I have lots of suggestions from you to explore.

Comment

Drawline executes only once?

Hi again Patrick

The following drawline command appears to execute only once [ie] only one line segment is displayed on the chart...between the last day and the previous day to that.
              What must I do to create all line segments [between all bars]

DrawLine(
              "my line", false, 1, Close[1], 0, Close[0], Color.Black, DashStyle.Solid, 4);

Comment

Hello joemiller.

Thank you for your response.

Using DrawHorizontalLine() , you could set up a horizontal line that shows at the current price.
                For information on DrawHorizontalLine() please visit the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...zontalline.htm

For the DrawLine(), you will need to add a variable to the tag otherwise since there is one tag there is only one line drawn. You can actually use CurrentBar to do this, and it will add the CurrentBar number to the tag.

Code:
                DrawLine("my line"[B][U] + CurrentBar,[/U][/B] false, 1, Close[1], 0, Close[0], Color.Black, DashStyle.Solid, 4);
                Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

many thanks again for exactly what i needed

great advice. worked like a charm.
                  your responses are so useful....... and so much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by PaulMohn, Today, 03:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post PaulMohn  
                  Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason