setting up automated trading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up automated trading

hi guys id like to start automated trading but have a question about it.

basically my system will be that it scans the market extremely fast, perhaps every second, and then if it detects it a change in the market it will buy and then hold it for x amount of time and then sell when x profit can be made after the market changes, then the process will repeat over and over throughout the day, ive averaged that it will probably make 5-6 trades per day.
    so my question is, does ninjatrader support this? obviously it is capable of making automated trades but is it capable of suiting my system? and also, as someone totally unskilled in programming and coding, is it simple enough for me to do myself? or will I need to hire a programmer to do it for me?

any help is greatly appreciated, thankyou.

Your specification is open to interpretation...

When you say scan the market, and all that...

Do you mean all 3K stocks? Or just an index?

Are you dealing with stocks or futures?

Originally posted by Mrjinx25 View Post
    hi guys id like to start automated trading but have a question about it.

basically my system will be that it scans the market extremely fast, perhaps every second, and then if it detects it a change in the market it will buy and then hold it for x amount of time and then sell when x profit can be made after the market changes, then the process will repeat over and over throughout the day, ive averaged that it will probably make 5-6 trades per day.
    so my question is, does ninjatrader support this? obviously it is capable of making automated trades but is it capable of suiting my system? and also, as someone totally unskilled in programming and coding, is it simple enough for me to do myself? or will I need to hire a programmer to do it for me?

any help is greatly appreciated, thankyou.

Comment

im sorry I should have been more specific

basically I choose a company, and then it will continue to scan the stock price rapidly, as a few of the more basic programs ive looked at just refresh the price every minute or so, which is rather slow.
      hopefully that makes it a bit clearer
      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mrjinx25 View Post
        im sorry I should have been more specific

basically I choose a company, and then it will continue to scan the stock price rapidly, as a few of the more basic programs ive looked at just refresh the price every minute or so, which is rather slow.
        hopefully that makes it a bit clearer
        thanks
        As NT exists right now, you will need some pretty heavy-duty coding to even come close to starting to get that done. You can scan the market on a tick to tick basis with the Market Analyzer, but there is no exposed way to launch orders from what the Market Analyzer produces. In fact, there is no way to launch a strategy from the Market Analyzer, or anywhere else programatically for that matter.

You can write an individual strategy that scans for specific conditions, and places orders, but you will have to define what those conditions are. "Scan the market", unfortunately, is not an actionable statement that can be coded. Indeed the market is always being scanned by a strategy: you just have to define what you want to scan for, and then NT can be coded to do it.

Comment

Hello Mrjinx25,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forums!

As koganam stated it would be possible be possible but require quite a bit of coding.

If you would like to try to code this, the following link has some good information to get you started.

Otherwise, you may want to contact one of our NinjaScript Consultants for this.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
          JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, ill look into those links you posted.
            Appreciate the help

Comment

an easier approach might be to develop your strategy with entries and exits , profit targets and stops. Do this in the wizard and then apply the strategy to eash instrument you want to scan.
              For example, I have a simple volatility breakout strategy and put it on all the indexes and metals. The list is there on strategy tab, and I can see when a signal is activated on any of those instruments. I run these on sim accounts under my live account so they do not place trades in a live account.
              After testing and finding ones that work, you could then apply them live.
              I simply keep them there to let me know when a particular futures instrument starts moving.
              I

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
              11 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post xiinteractive  
              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
              1 response
              0 likes