Basic questions about limit order parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic questions about limit order parameters

I'm looking for confirmation on the following backtest order parameters when the OrderType = Limit

Given OrderType = Limit, Fill type = default, and Slippage = 1 then an order must trade through the limit price to the next tick and 0.0001 (6E tick size) will be deducted from each trade as slippage. Is this correct?

For instance if we had a long limit order at 1.3098 then the backtest would only fill if the price touched 1.3099 (i.e., 1 tick higher) and slippage of 0.0001 would be deducted from any profit (or increase any loss). Is this correct?

My goal is to make sure that I'm making the most conservative assumption possible w/o using bid/ask data. That is, I'd like to assume that the fill price was tradeable and that I at least crossed the average spread.
    Last edited by bluelou; 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM.

bluelou, generally for the default type and limit order it would not fill you on a touch - however slippage would not be applied since there's no slippage technically on a limit order.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      bluelou, generally for the default type and limit order it would not fill you on a touch - however slippage would not be applied since there's no slippage technically on a limit order.
      Bertrand,
      Here's what I'd like to clarify. In the docs it reads as follows:
      "Default - An algorithm that takes a conservative and more realistic approach to filling limit and stop limit orders. Limit orders only fill if the limit price was penetrated"

Q: What exactly does "penetrated" mean? Does it mean the next tick was touched? For instance if I have a long limit order at 1.3078 does "default' consider the order filled if 1.3079 was touched? I'm trying to determine how conservative "penetrated" is.

Comment

bluelou, it means to trade through the limit price level at least by the ticksize - you would not get a fill on the limit price here.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          bluelou, it means to trade through the limit price level at least by the ticksize - you would not get a fill on the limit price here.
          Okay, so given a long limit order at 1.3078 and tick size = 0.0001, if the market traded through at least 1.3077 THEN I would get a fill, right? (sry, I meant 1.3077 the first time around.)

Comment

Correct, it would need to trade through your limit price instead of touching to give you a fill.

Comment

k, thx I just wanted to make sure I understood the semantics correctly

Comment

When trading a strategy live do the Historical Fill Processing params (Fill type, Slippage) have any impact or meaning? If not, why are they in the param window?

Comment

These options will apply to the Historical trades that are evaluated when your NinjaScript strategy is started.
                  MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                    These options will apply to the Historical trades that are evaluated when your NinjaScript strategy is started.
                    Why would I care about the historical representation of prior trades while running a strategy live? What does that do for me?

Comment

Many strategies rely on historical data for calculating its current positions and order states. These are all virtual, simulated trades.

If your strategy does not look at historical data trades when running live, you can ignore these options.
                      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

So, it's a way to determine if you'd already be in a position or flat upon the start up of your strategy? Is that the idea?

Comment

Originally posted by bluelou View Post
                          So, it's a way to determine if you'd already be in a position or flat upon the start up of your strategy? Is that the idea?
                          One part of it. You can always ensure that the strategy ignores everything that would have happened, and enters always only on realtime bars, by using the Historical property.

Comment

Or, you could just use Tools -> Options -> NinjaScript -> Wait until flat before executing live. It appears that there's 3 different ways to accomplish the same thing. Or, am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by bluelou View Post
                              Or, you could just use Tools -> Options -> NinjaScript -> Wait until flat before executing live. It appears that there's 3 different ways to accomplish the same thing. Or, am I missing something?
                              Not quite the same. If, at start, the strategy determines historically that you are in a position, it will not take the next signal, because it is waiting to get flat. If you use the Historical property, it is tantamount to the strategy always having no position when it starts.
                              Last edited by koganam; 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM. Reason: Corrected grammar.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by gravdigaz6, Today, 11:40 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred