Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

possible to reset chart to normal spacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible to reset chart to normal spacing?

In some other trading platforms, there is a toolbar button that resets a chart to display in its original form. For example, if I've zoomed in, changed spacing or whatever, I simply press the button and the chart returns to normal. Is there anything like that in NinjaTrader?

I ask because my charts start out displaying normally but when I scroll sometimes the bars suddenly become scrunched up together and their widths have changed. For sure, it happens when I have two dataseries on the same chart (in different panels). I've used Ctrl/Alt up and down to readjust the bar spacing/width but it is time consuming and annoying. Plus, it just happens again a few moments later. Anyway to resolve this?

Hello ricktek,

Unfortunately there is no button or command that will reset the chart to its original form.

You can restore the chart to its previous form upon using the zoom function. Once you zoomed in, the negative magnifying icon will be available. If you click this icon, the chart will go back to its previous state.

The scrunching of bars happens when you click and hold the left mouse button below the time axis. Upon scrolling charts, please make sure you do not click below the time axis. More information regarding navigating our charts can be found at the link below.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

While I appreciate you providing this information, I am disappointed that there is no automated way to return to normal. Seriously, it is time consuming and very annoying. The scrunching happens automatically and without warning. In order to reset to something resembling normal, I have to adjust both bar spacing and width on each dataseries individually. As I said before, it can occur again just a few moments later and I back to the same mess. On the good side, it also occasionally seems to reset itself, for no apparent reason.

I have already read the info in the provided link. There apparently is no solution to this problem except undue suffering. Btw, at exactly what point is it that I'm not allowed to click? The only thing I see below the time axis is the scroll bar. I'm not being sarcastic; this is very annoying and makes NT's GUI appear amateurish.

Comment

Hello ricktek,

You could create a chart template of the chart. Close the current chart. Open up a brand new chart and select the chart template you saved.

The scrunching will occur when you click and hold the left mouse button below the time axis and you move left or right. Make sure the cursor is always above the time axis line upon scrolling to avoid it.

Comment

Will creating a chart template stop this from happening?

I see now what you mean about clicking and dragging below time line. Why doesn't clicking and dragging in the opposite direction return to normal? Oh well; I guess it doesn't really matter. I'll just have to be extra careful with my mouse when using NT. It would be nice if it gets fixed in NT8.
          Last edited by ricktek; 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, creating a chart template will not stop it from occurring. You cannot disable the scrunching function.

Can you please clarify how exactly you like to see this "fixed". Are you saying you like a confirmation window when scrunching the price bars?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
              ... Can you please clarify how exactly you like to see this "fixed". Are you saying you like a confirmation window when scrunching the price bars?
              Sounds to me that what is wanted is a default chart spacing and bar thickness, that one can return to directly without actually having to manually reverse previous scrolling actions. Whether the return to default is per a button-click (best) or menu choice, it will still be better than the "nothing" that we have now.

I would like to see this too: I have just been too lazy to complain before now.

Comment

Hello koganam,

I will forward your vote as well.

Comment

It appears, to me, that clicking and dragging below the time line is a feature which allows a user to expand or compress the chart display. When it works properly, I see no problem. However, frequently the display freaks out (I believe that's the technical term for it ;-)). Bars charts are scrunched up (another technical term) to the point that they are on top of each other. When that happens, further clicking and dragging results in expanding of mostly width and just a bit of bar spacing (I hope that's not considered a feature). It does not simply expand and compress spacing in a logical manner. I'm guessing it's a bug, but it would probably be easier to add a reset button rather than trying to duplicate the situation and identify the source.

koganam seems to understand what I'm talking about. As a long time programmer, I know it's not that difficult to provide a reset button. It would be a welcome addition to the chart window's toolbar.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback as well ricktek, we will include your comments as a vote in for this reset feature.
                    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

The suggestion is present on the list of possible future enhancements and is assigned to ID# 948.

Comment

i have the same problem. it does get annoying. i have all crunched up candle on a daily chart that just gets confusing. what i have to do is use a FREE trading platform with that particular instrument on the daily. i don't trade using that chart but at least i don't have to worry about the "crunched" up candles. since i have a daily, 4hr, and 1hr charts open. i'll post a picture. this is the USD/JPY but in the other platform its reversed. but that's better than the "crunched" chart.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Federali,

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward your vote as well.

Comment

Was this feature request ever implemented?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                            Hello Federali,

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward your vote as well.

Comment

Is this zoom reset now available? I'm on version 8.1.1.6 64-bit. I see this was demanded in 2013.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by wzgy0920, Today, 09:53 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post wzgy0920