Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Any way to have distinct charts for a single instrument with different time frames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ,

Below is a video of the re-test with the indicator on both charts.
    http://screencast.com/t/dt6hpPYhNz

I recommend you start with a new workspace and no other workspaces loaded and try the same process.

please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.
    • Shut down NinjaTrader
    • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces
    • Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML".
    • After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.
    • Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart and test for the issue.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1 however you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.

Let me know if you still encounter the issue on a blank workspace with no other indicators applied to the charts.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

If nothing else this exchange has been a great demonstration of the gap between me doing something and then communicating what I did correctly to you. I'm not much of a moviemaker so let me provide instead a written script of what's going on here. I will check it for accuracy before posting again.
      Last edited by ljyoung; 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

This is the protocol:
        • Open NT
        • Go to File-New-Chart
        • Select ES (09-13)-New, then load Default Chart Template and click OK
        • Set the time frame to 5 min (my default has a 1 min time frame)
        • Go to Indicator and select M1_Channels and click New, then click OK
        • Construct a *channel which includes RTH and a chunk of ETH
        • Repeat the process from “Go to File-New-Chart” to “Go to Indicator”
        • Again select M1_Channels and click New, then OK
        • Now go to Data Series-Session template for this chart
        • Select CME US Index Futures RTH and click Apply then OK
        • Do not construct a *channel
        • Now go to Workspace and click Save
        • Exit NT
        • Open NT
        What you should see is that the *channel that you made in the ETH time frame has been transferred to the RTH time frame. FWIW, I have seen this anomaly since I began using this channel indicator. It is a very good indicator except for this failing and that’s why I’ve continued to use it.

Comment

Hi ljyoung,

Thanks for these steps. With these instructions I was able to reproduce the issue.

It seems that this indicator has a memory. Even removing the indicator from the first chart and re-adding it will draw the channel lines back.

Unfortunately, most of the code within this script is unsupported code, including the code that draws the channels so I am not going to be able to assist with editing this.

I highly recommend you attempt to contact the author of this script and inquire about having this changed.

Please let me know if there are any other inquiries I may assist you with.
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks ChelseaB for all your work with this script. I'll go back to the board where I found it and see if the author can fix it.

Comment

To any who might be interested there is a workaround for the problem. Thanks to trader nkhoi from one of the other trader boards.

For one of the series RTH or ETH (I picked ETH), change the period for the 5 minutes to 300 seconds, for the 15 minutes to 900 seconds, etc. You then can redraw your channels with the changed period and voila - no more channel duplication.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:13 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB