Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost unrealized profits

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question:

I had a strategy runing from a chart window in Sim mode... which had accumulated an unrealized profit of over 3K. I accidently closed (exited) the window. NT told me my order had been canceled.

However, I did not realize any of those profits. How do I close an open strategy and coop the unrealized profits?

Also, it sure would have been nice if NT would have prompted me to close the chart...

Thanks

Originally posted by kgillis23 View Post
    Please forgive me if this is a stupid question:

I had a strategy runing from a chart window in Sim mode... which had accumulated an unrealized profit of over 3K. I accidently closed (exited) the window. NT told me my order had been canceled.

However, I did not realize any of those profits. How do I close an open strategy and coop the unrealized profits?

Also, it sure would have been nice if NT would have prompted me to close the chart...

Thanks
    Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Unrealized profits are applied to any running strategy. These profits can go up or down depending on the market. To realize profit you must close out your strategy.

For example you have a strategy running that puts you in a long position. The unrealized profit for this strategy is at $500. Your strategy does not close this position out and later does using a trailing stop to stop you out for a profit of $200. You have a realized profit of $200. To realize profit you must close out your position using your strategy to sell a contract short. After closing your position with the strategy you will realize profit.

Comment

So is it possible to "close out" a position that was started via a NinjaScript strategy and realize any unrealized profit at that point in time?

Comment

Originally posted by kgillis23 View Post
        So is it possible to "close out" a position that was started via a NinjaScript strategy and realize any unrealized profit at that point in time?
        Yes, you would need to stop the strategy and then have an order filled that would flatten your account. This is not possible directly with a NinjaScript strategy as for the strategy to flatten your position you would need to have that exit condition included in your strategy.

Comment

Thanks for the help... but I am still missing some pieces.

What happend to the Long position I was in when I closed the chart. Does it not still remain in force? And if so, how do I see it and close it?

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Comment

Any open position is displayed in an window that displays a position.

- Chart Trader
            - Control Center Positions Tab
            - SueprDOM
            - Etc...

The position is likely still open if you closed your chart.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I just saw that you were running a strategy. Are you referring to a NinjaScript strategy? If yes, the position is virtual unless live trades were taken.

Here is a link that may provide some depth to this statement - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/v...ead.php?t=4033

Comment

Thanks for the reference to the posting on Strategy Position vs. Account Position - this did explain alot.

Yes, I was running a NinjaScript strategy in an internal simulated accoutn (Sim101). I had opened a daily chart going back 365 days. I then started the strategy, which entered a long position several days prior to the start date of the sim data. Based on what I think I understand now this enter was "virtual" - recognized by my strategy but not by the sim account. The "virtual" long continued to gain unrealized profit - which displayed on the strategy status window, but I was not gaining any "real" profit becuase I had not actually place a long entry with my sim broker. Consiquently, when I closed the strategy there were was no "real" unrealized profit - I had never place a "real" long entry.

So, now from what I can find out, the way to deal with this is to:
                1. use some form of the "if (Historical)" condition so when I run in Sim mode I only execute on real time data,
                2. Manually enter positions to reflect the "virtual" positions my strategies have made... althoug this seems a bit awakward to try and match things just right.

So to bring this full circle, I should be able to compare the unrealized profit from the running strategies in the NT Control Center -> Strategy Tab with the NT Control Center -> Positions Tab to determine what positions are "real" and which are "virtual". - is that right?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Comment

Your understanding is correct. Glad to be of help

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                  21 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Bidder