Retrieve Barchart data with Interactive Brokers connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrieve Barchart data with Interactive Brokers connection

I have noticed that when I run a strategy in Ninjatrader, while being connected to Barchart ( for market data) and to Interactive Brokers ( for execution), that Ninjatrader will automatically choose to retrieve real-time market data from Interactive Brokers, instead of from Barchart data feed.

I have checked the Ninjatrader helpguide about multiple connections, if I could change this.. (http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...onnections.htm)

Which states that: “Whenever you request data for a particular market, NinjaTrader will request data from the broker connection first and then your Kinetick connection second if a market data request fails from your broker because the broker technology does not support the instrument type (equities, futures, forex, indexes).

Based on this it seems that the default behaviour of Ninjatrader in this case is to automatically ignore any other market feed and automatically use the data feed of the broker connection

Is there a way to change this, in order for me to retrieve real-time data from another market data provider ( like Barchart), while trading and being connected to Interactive Brokers ?

I don’t know about other brokers, but for me having to use Interactive Brokers as a market data provider makes it impossible to trade, because the Interactive Brokers datafeed in my opinion is unsuitable for real time trading.

I would appreciate any insights or suggestions to resolve this problem.

Hello marcus250,

Thanks for writing in.

If you connect to BarCharts first all data will come from your BarChart connection since BarCharts supports all data feeds.
    You would then connect to Interactive Brokers second and you will still be able to select your live account from any account drop down menu.
    This is explained in example 2.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to connect to both Barchart and also to Interactive brokers for trading.

I would like to know how i will be able to have a strategy in Ninjatrader retrieve market data from Barchart, instead of from Interactive Brokers.

If i am connected to both Barchart and Interactive Brokers, Ninjatrader will automatically retrieve market data from Interactive brokers, instead of my preferred data provider, Barchart.

Do you know how i will be able to achieve this ?

Comment

Hello Marcus,

As long as you're connecting to Barchart First, and then connecting to IB, all of your market data will come from Barchart. This will be your primary data feed and all market data comes from this connection.

Please allow me to clarify as I can see how this may be confusing at first glance:

When you run the strategy, there is a "Connection" column. This column is not presenting which market data connection is being used, but rather which brokerage connection is being used. This means if you connect to Barchart first, but start your strategy on your IB account, the "Connection" itself will read your IB connection name. However this only indicates which brokerage connection is being used for orders.

The market data will always come from the first connection which is the primary.

More on this topic at: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...onnections.htm
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post jaybedreamin  
        Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
        6 responses
        0 likes