Improving feel of charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving feel of charts

For me, one of the biggest weaknesses of NinjaTrader is the charting engine. It just doesn't have that same feel of elegance, intuition, and beauty that some other platforms offer. There are also bugs with how trend lines show when switching time frames. What annoys me most is that if I want to zoom out on a chart, maximizing the window is the best way. Dragging the x-axis to resize the candles is OK sometimes, but it jacks up the candle widths and distances apart making it hard to get back to where it was.

For example, look how nicely freestockcharts.com scales with the mouse wheel. Candles don't overlap each other and you don't need to drag the timeline to re-size candles. Silverlight seems to be a much superior technology for charting and it would be amazing if NT could integrate it in the platform.

Aside from missing accumulative volume data in the DOM, I think it has the potential to be one of the best tools on the market. Does anybody know if there are plans to rewrite the charting engine for Ninja? It has so much potential.

Looking forward to NinjaTrader 8!

Hello rxtrader,

While I do not know the details about the charting engine for NinjaTrader 8, I can mention that this new version is being developed from the ground up.

I did want to mention that there is another way to enlarge your chart without using the mouse.

To increase the spacing and on a chart hold the Ctrl Key and tap the down arrow. Hold Ctrl and tap the up arrow to decrease the spacing.

To increase the bar width hold the Alt key and tap the down arrow. Hold Alt and tap the up arrow to decrease the bar width.

This may help you to return to exact sizes.

Regarding silverlight, I will send this as a feature request to our development department.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      While I do not know the details about the charting engine for NinjaTrader 8, I can mention that this new version is being developed from the ground up.

To increase the spacing and on a chart hold the Ctrl Key and tap the down arrow. Hold Ctrl and tap the up arrow to decrease the spacing. To increase the bar width hold the Alt key and tap the down arrow. Hold Alt and tap the up arrow to decrease the bar width. This may help you to return to exact sizes.

Regarding silverlight, I will send this as a feature request to our development department.
      I'm really happy to hear the new platform is being developed from the ground up. NinjaTrader has little competition at this point and it's a great opportunity to be that ultimate cost-effective solution. I would even suggest working with existing FX platforms that have no interest in futures who would be willing to license their charting engine to you guys so you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Your suggestions are OK, but still not seamless and user-friendly. Hope to see this improved in the next major release. I don't know if Silverlight is the best option for charting, but the development team might be pleasantly surprised how much easier it is to make beautiful charts with it.

I really appreciate your thoughtful response. NinjaTrader has a very bright future if it can really master the charting experience. Use freestockcharts.com for what to strive for!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
      12 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post DrakeiJosh  
      Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
      3 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post rhubear