Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

future time prediction ?

Hello,
    I have a weekly chart here and a chart with equidistant and nonequidistant spacing.

If i have a chart with equidistant spacing, then why is the time of the blue line equal to 4/2014 , while the actual distance specifies that it should only be 2 months in the future?

The second chart with the nonequidistant spacing shows this ridiculousness. How does a line segment that peers into the future be so expanded in this chart?

How are future times calculated?
    Attached Files

Hello Starry,

I am able to reproduce the issue when 'Equidistant bar spacing' is set to True. When set to False the vertical line reports the date correctly. I will report the issue to development.

Can you please create a new weekly chart and set 'Equidistant bar spacing' to False. Apply a vertical line in the future and check if it reports the data correctly.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks, that works! hope the bug is fixed soon

Comment

Hello Jason,

I have some updates on this bug, in the way that it effects my indicator when equidistant bar = true.

When the fibonacci start time is exactly at the right-most side of the right-most bar, the x-> time translation messes up a lot. It is even displayed incorrectly.

program-drawn-line

Click image for larger version

Name:	program_drawn_line.png
Views:	1
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	868772

user-drawn-vertical-line : notice that the time is not equal to the displayed time for the program-drawn-line, even though visually they are located in the same place

Name:	user_drawn_vertical_line.png
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	868774

user-drawn-fibonacci-circle-time: notice that the start-time is the same time as my program-drawn-line start time, which is what i wanted. but visually, they are not the same.

Name:	user_drawn_fib_circle.png
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	868773

This is how it messes up my indicator.

Name:	mess_up_1_fib_circle.png
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	868775

The start time of the fibonacci circle is interpreted as the red dot. Then, an equivalent fibonacci circle is calculated by my program and the lines are drawn according to this equivalent fib circle. Because the end time of the fibonacci circle is interpreted correctly, this creates an equivalent fibonacci circle (drawn approximately) that is smaller in radius and that is displaced (shown below). Therefore, it is a bug in ninjatrader and not in my code.

Name:	mess_up_2_fib_circle.png
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	868776

Here is my indicator (posted in the next post) if you want to play with this bug, and you can put it on a weekly chart with equidistant = true. equidistant=false makes this bug go away, but unfortunately i use this on a tick chart where equidistant = true is very necessary, so this work around doesnt work. However, the bug is less noticeable on tick charts ....

You can also see how the lines 'vibrate' when equidistant = true, while when equidistant= false, the lines do not vibrate at all, that might have something to do with this bug.
        Last edited by Starry; 07-13-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Here is my indicator

edit: ive changed it so that it directly accesses internal variables, and draws lines/rays using the graphics library, so no big deal for me..... it now works flawlessly.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Starry; 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Hello Starry,

Thank you for the detailed report.

This is expected behavior of the charts when using equidistant bar spacing. The results you're expecting are that of the non-equidistant bar spacing. The way of ensuring there is an equal amount of spacing between the bars, the chart axis is tied into the bars on the chart. As a result of this, there is no date available when you try to draw ahead of the bar. Setting the option to false, the chart will use only the time series and will not be tied to the bar, allowing you to predict and access time variables where there is not a bar.

There are workarounds you can use for your indicators as you've done. Glad to see you got it to work with your expectations.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I would have to disagree. If each bar is a fixed amount of time, like a weekly or daily chart, then the start and end of each bar is actually tied to the time axis in a predictable way.

In other words, ninjatrader should be able to predict the time axis ahead of time and where each bar begins and end, taking into account holidays, weekends, and non-trading hours in the future.

Then, when equidistant bar is checked, the non-trading (predictable) times will simply be deleted from the time axis. A time axis with holes in it.

On the other hand, this cant be done for things like tick charts which do not have a predefined time per bar.

Just my 2 cents ...... Of course the current way is simpler and easier to code. However, its annoying to change to non-equidistant bars because then th ere are humongous gaps that make analysis and time prediction harder. The pattern that matters is the pattern during the trading hours, and really should not include those big gaps in time, though in the end it can be taken into account.
              Last edited by Starry; 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Tim-c
              by Tim-c

Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes