line crosses not number crosses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

line crosses not number crosses

How do you set up alert, cell, or filter conditions based on two plotted lines crossing.
    It is quite simple to set an alert if, for example MACD, crosses above zero, or some other number. But what if I want an alert if the main macd line crosses the signal line. How do I do that?

Hello mcteague,

You may use the Strategy Wizard to be able to create an alert like this inside of a chart. Here is a link to our Help Guide that you may view for more information under the section "How to create a cross over condition".

We also have a video demonstration that may help you create this as well that you may view.
    Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video demonstrates how to create alerts using the Strategy Wizard within NinjaTrader 7. NinjaTrad...

Alternatively, you can create an indicator that will do this but would require some custom programming.

Let us know if you are interested in creating an indicator and we can send you some references that will help out.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The point is to be able to scan through a list of instruments to see which meet the criteria.
      If I put it in a chart I have to enter the instrument each time individually.
      Lets think about what you're saying.
      We are using MACD because it is so common and well known. In Ninjatrader I can not scan for crosses of the the MACD line and the Average line. I can only scan for MACD or Average line crosses above or below a number.

Stockcharts.com has this as one of their free predefined scans. How could this program not have this? Now I am not actually looking for MACD crosses. But any indicator producing 2 lines should be able to be scanned based on those lines crossing. (or one being above the other)

Since this capability is available in ninjatrader for strategy development, I know that it can be done. And that you can do it. So please just add this rather basic functionality to Market analyzer. And don't ask me to custom code something that should be there already.

Thank you

Comment

Hello mcteague,

Thanks for the clarification on that.

While, I am not StockCharts.com this is possible to do inside of NinjaTrader but you may want to use a custom Indicator to be able this and use the Market Analyzer window.

Here is a quick MACD cross check that you may try out or view a reference for an indicator but you may want to make sure that Calculate on bar close is set to true.

To Import
        1. Download the attached file to your desktop
        2. From the Control Center window select the menu File > Utilities > Import NinjaScript
        3. Select the downloaded file

Note that on any files that say "File already exists on your PC" that start with an "@" symbol are the ones that came preloaded inside of NinjaTrader so you would say "No" so that you do not override those files.

This will set the plot to 1 if a cross has happened so you can create an Market Analyzer Filter to only see the instrument that you want.

Attached Files
        JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by LawrenHom, Today, 10:45 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post LawrenHom  
        Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
        4 responses