Connection Problems AMP / CQG - anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection Problems AMP / CQG - anyone

This morning has been especially bad. I hardly ever lose the CQG data stream, but the connection to AMP is a weak point. This game is risky enough without connection failure. AMP has $100 / month subscription available that's suppose to be a more direct route to the exchange, I have to wonder if they deliberately make a weak connection to force people into a paid connection ? Thanks Also did a 200 count ping test to CQG this morning with zero lose, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my internet .
    Last edited by T2020; 07-16-2013, 09:09 AM.

Hello T2020,

Thank you for your forum post.

We have not had any specific connection issues with our CQG clients today.

The connection that is established within NinjaTrader is not deliberately made weaker to encourage a $100/month subscription.

I would like to review the disconnections you are experiencing closer.

Please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Ryan L." in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
    1.) A link to this forum thread.
    2.) Your latest log and trace file:
    You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
    • The log file will be named "log.20130716.txt"

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
    • The trace file will be named "trace.20130716.txt"

I look forward to assisting you further.
    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am also experiencing multiple disconnects with AMP/CQG.

Comment

Wondering if doing as you ask will show any problems with the connection to AMP. I don't have an issue with the data flow, it keeps right on going. Also, I have rebooted Ninja after the event. Will this interfere with the log reports. also, I used the contact support option from " help" / Mail support earlier this morning. Would this not have complied with your request ?
        Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanL View Post
        Hello T2020,

Thank you for your forum post.

We have not had any specific connection issues with our CQG clients today.

The connection that is established within NinjaTrader is not deliberately made weaker to encourage a $100/month subscription.

I would like to review the disconnections you are experiencing closer.

Please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Ryan L." in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
        1.) A link to this forum thread.
        2.) Your latest log and trace file:
        You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
        • The log file will be named "log.20130716.txt"

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
        • The trace file will be named "trace.20130716.txt"

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

T20, I also have noticed that the data continues to update, but when I look at the DOM and T&S during the periods of lost/reduced connection status (ie: orange status indicator in the connection box) that the data actually appears to become sticky, and somewhat truncated. Reloading data seems to repair some missing ticks and volume, but the issue needs to be addressed at any rate.

Comment

Hello T2020,

The trace file will show any disconnections that you experienced today from either the price or order servers.

It may be that you experienced a disconnection from just one of these servers but not both.

The yellow/orange/red connection status indicates you are not connected properly to your brokerage anymore. The brokerage connection connects to an order and price servers. If connection to one of these servers is lost, you will see the yellow/orange/red color.

Please note that NinjaTrader does not dictate when a connection is lost. It operates like a radio receiver in that it receives a signal from your broker and then displays/reports these signals back to you the trader. When a connection is lost, it is the broker's API that determines this and reports this to NinjaTrader which in turn reports this back to the trader.

The common problems that contribute to this are:
            - ISP issues
            - hardware firewall issues changing IP addresses frequently
            - Dynamic ISP address switching the address frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week but you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, a static IP address may work.
            - With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections open (10 programs making connections through the internet) windows will randomly shut down some connections
            - Broker servers having problems
            - Security software, such as (corporate) firewalls, spyware and anti-virus software, that could be interfering the connection.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in BigAAPL. I'll bet there's more people out there with the same issue.
              Originally posted by BigAAPL View Post
              T20, I also have noticed that the data continues to update, but when I look at the DOM and T&S during the periods of lost/reduced connection status (ie: orange status indicator in the connection box) that the data actually appears to become sticky, and somewhat truncated. Reloading data seems to repair some missing ticks and volume, but the issue needs to be addressed at any rate.

Comment

OK T20, so now we know that the problem may be between the brokerage and servers. I would need more convincing evidence that this is a deliberate attempt by AMP to throttle back on the price feed pipe however, as this would also create havoc with their standing orders.

Oh and thanks Ryan.

Comment

OK, so I rebooted my router this morning and that may have changed the IP address. After that I had done a 200 count ping test to CQG with zero failed packets. Some time ago I ask AMP for a IP address to ping them directly and they would not give me that. I'm using windows 7 64bit. Window firewall has Ninja allowed check marked. Also, running MS security essentials. Is there a way to allow Ninja in that ? I have spy bot SD on this PC, but I can disable Tea timer. Any suggestion based on this info ? Thanks
                  Hello T2020,

The trace file will show any disconnections that you experienced today from either the price or order servers.

It may be that you experienced a disconnection from just one of these servers but not both.

The yellow/orange/red connection status indicates you are not connected properly to your brokerage anymore. The brokerage connection connects to an order and price servers. If connection to one of these servers is lost, you will see the yellow/orange/red color.

Please note that NinjaTrader does not dictate when a connection is lost. It operates like a radio receiver in that it receives a signal from your broker and then displays/reports these signals back to you the trader. When a connection is lost, it is the broker's API that determines this and reports this to NinjaTrader which in turn reports this back to the trader.

The common problems that contribute to this are:
                  - ISP issues
                  - hardware firewall issues changing IP addresses frequently
                  - Dynamic ISP address switching the address frequently intraday. Usually this happens once a week but you may want to check with your ISP. If they do change daily, a static IP address may work.
                  - With Windows XP SP2, if you have more than 10 open TCPIP socket connections open (10 programs making connections through the internet) windows will randomly shut down some connections
                  - Broker servers having problems
                  - Security software, such as (corporate) firewalls, spyware and anti-virus software, that could be interfering the connection.

Comment

Hello T2020,

Thank you for the follow up.

I also run MS Security Essentials on my PC and this has never interfered with the connections within NinjaTrader. I have not setup any specific exclusions or exceptions.

CQG uses the following IP address and port.
                    IP = 208.48.16.130
                    port = 31654

Comment

My ISP can provide a static IP address for and extra $10/ month. Just wondering if you had an opinion on how important this might be ? Or how much it might help ?
                      Hello T2020,

Thank you for the follow up.

I also run MS Security Essentials on my PC and this has never interfered with the connections within NinjaTrader. I have not setup any specific exclusions or exceptions.

CQG uses the following IP address and port.
                      IP = 208.48.16.130
                      port = 31654

Comment

Hello T2020,

If you are able to discontinue the static IP address at anytime with your ISP then this would be a good test.

A static IP address will stop any disconnections from occurring if the disconnections are due to an IP renewal either with or without an IP address change.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                        Started by quantismo, Today, 05:13 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes