Stop Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Not Working

I am trying to implement a dynamic stop system but it doesn't ever place the stop. Here is the code I am using:

Code:
    			if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Long
    				&& Close[0] < Open[0] && Close[1] < Open[1]) //&& (Close[0] < Low[1] || Close[0] <= Low[0]))
    				{
    				ExitLongStop(Low[1] + -2 * TickSize, "", "");
    				}

if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Short
    				&& Close[0] > Open[0] && Close[1] > Open[1])//&& (Close[0] > High[1] || Close[0] >= High[0]))
    				{
    				ExitShortStop(High[1] + 2 * TickSize, "", "");	
    				}
    This strategy compiles just fine and there is no other stop order or stop management command in the strategy. This is it. Also there are no error statements in the log regarding placing a stop. Is there something wrong with this stop order? I tried tying it to a named entry, and not tying it to a named entry, in either case it doesn't work.
    Thanks
    DaveN
    Last edited by daven; 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM. Reason: correct grammar

Hello daven,

Thanks for your note.

I have created a simple script to test your code.

I have run this on an ES 09-13 1 Min chart. I am seeing the stops placed causing the order to exit.

Please import my file and let me know of anything you would like me to change and test.
    Attached Files
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Chelsea, I see now that I had my stop order improperly constructed. I will correct the syntax and try it in my strategy. Your sample code really helped.
      DaveN

Comment

Stop doesn't work on other bars

Chelsea,
        I've been working with the test script you supplied and stops are working fine once I figured out what was going on. I have two questions. In the format you supplied, the stops execute, but never show up on the DOM as a resident stop. That seems weird, but perhaps there is a logical explanation for that. The other question I have is the stops don't work at all on Better Renko or Hybrid Renko bars. Why is that?
        Accepting that is true, can I implement stops by adding a minute or shorter time duration bar, and execute the stop on that bar, instead of the hybrid renko bar? Is it possible to enter a trade based on the hybrid renko data, but exit the trade based on the 2nd minute data?
        Thanks
        DaveN

Comment

Hello Dave,

I can confirm that the sample I provided using your stop logic does work on 4 Renko bars. I am unsure of why it would not work on Better Renko or Hybrid Renko. It may be that the conditions are not being met or that they are and the stops are not being hit.

May I have the output of your Output window?
          • Right-click Output window -> select Save As... -> select a location you will find -> click Save
          • Attach this output

Comment

Will the output from a small period backtest be okay?

Comment

Perhaps that won't work. If I run a back test, the Output box show's a lot of activity, but when the backtest completes, the output box clears. Is there a way to preserve the backtest output file?

Comment

Hello Dave,

I have been testing using the Market Replay.

I think you may have better luck with this.

YouTube Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgB1y...D7105&index=10

Help Guide - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ket_replay.htm

Comment

Stop Not Working - continued

Your are right, works on Renko bars or minute bars, not on Hybrid Renkos or Better Renkos.
                  I'm attaching an output file on your test script, running on 10 sec bars so I would get some activity easily. I the strategy on the chart , and attaching it here. I then cleared the output file, changed the data to HybridRenko 2 brick setting, re-enabled the strategy, and captured that output it is the second output file, labeled ....HybridRenko.
                  Thanks
                  DaveN

Also, could you comment on my question about the work-around for hybrid renko charts, detect the trade conditions on the Hybrid Renko bars, but actually implement it on minute or second bars as a second data set on the chart?

Had to limit the attachment to one file, because it exceeds your Mb file size limit.
                  I'll attach the second file in a second post.

output File_Chelsea.txt

Comment

I can't even attach the second file, it is 2.67 Mb, which exceeds your 1 Mb limit. Is there another way to send you the file?
                    Thanks
                    DaveN

Comment

Hello Dave,

It is possible to enter on one time frame and exit on another.

To do this, you will need to have a multi-time frame script. Then use the BarsInProgress in the call for the exit order.

For example on a script with a secondary time frame:

if (BarsInProgress == 0 && Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Long)
                      {
                      ExitLongStop(1, true, 1, Low[1]-2*TickSize, "", "");
                      }

ExitLongStop(int barsInProgressIndex, bool liveUntilCancelled, int quantity, double stopPrice, string signalName, string fromEntrySignal)
                      http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...itlongstop.htm

Comment

Hello Dave,

The issue looks like the stops are not being accepted and being cancelled a bar later.

Try using the liveUntilCancelled true in the call for the exit order as in the example of my last post.

Comment

Just wanted to provide some feedback for all your help. I implemented the new stop system you recommended, and it has dramatically improved the performance of my trading system. Perhaps more importantly, I can now see the profit target and the stop on the DOM, when the system is running so if I need to make adjustments because of what the market is doing, I can.
                          Thank you Chelsea for all your assistance.
                          DaveN

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting me know you've got everything working great.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance for you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                            12 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post DrakeiJosh  
                            Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes