Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Connection with IQFeed gets disrupted by broken RDP connection?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection with IQFeed gets disrupted by broken RDP connection?!?!

This is my setup:

I'm running a server in the cloud.
    I connect to this using RDP.
    The server runs NinjaTrader. I am using IQFeed as a dataprovider, and IB as the broker.

Occasionally the connection with IQFeed/NinjaTrader will drop (it briefly goes red in the status bar, NinjaTrader states "Connection Lost", but then I immediately hear a reconnection noise).

I get something like this in the log:

8/1/2013 10:56:43 AM|1|2|IQFeed1: Primary connection=ConnectionLost, Price feed=ConnectionLost
    8/1/2013 10:56:43 AM|3|128|Strategy 'iPEADv4032wSSO/dd6a3bf959704d2cbda6f9a5fd78f1bc' lost price connection but will keep running.
    8/1/2013 10:56:44 AM|1|2|IQFeed1: Primary connection=Connected, Price feed=Connected

This is not necessarily a problem, but is obviously not desirable either.

However, more of a problem seems to occur when I use RDP to connect to the server, but over a bad internet connection (i.e. 3G). When my connection to the RPD drops, this appears to correlate with a connection problem between IQFeed/NT. It appears that something gets stuck/interfered somewhere in the network stack. This can cause more terminal problems with the NT/IQFeed connection, whereby NT cannot automatically re-connect to IQFeed. Instead, I have to us the "IQLink Launcher" application to re-start IQFeed. Fwiw, my connection between NinjaTrader and IB *never* has problems.

This sounds odd/unrealistic but I'm pretty convinced the two events are related - e.g. dropped RDP connection causes a dropped IQFeed connection.

Moreover, this leads to a catch 22 problem - I cannot check for problems on my server, because it will cause the problems itself!

Any ideas?

Hello AntiMatter,

Thank you for your post.

So I may investigate this matter further please answer the following questions:

Are you certain it is not the 3G connection dropping the RDP or is your remote server actually losing connection to IQFeed?

Who manages your remote system?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Let me re-phrase the problem:

If am using a bad 3G connection (e.g. on a train), this can cause my RDP connection to drop. This is pretty normal/expected.

However, often when this happens, the copy of NinjaTrader running on the server loses the connection with IQFeed. This is rather bizarre and not expected. E.g. I should be able to drop the RDP connection, and everything on the server should just carry on regardless. However, instead when RDP connection has problems, then this causes problems, but only for the (local) connection between NinjaTrader --> IQFeed.

I don't understand why this is happening. However, it is as-if something in a network stack/daemon is getting stuck (e.g. due to the dropped RDP connection), which then inteferes with the NinjaTrader -> IQFeed connection.

The remote system is running on Amazon Web Services. Local bandwidth and stability of the system are thus not a concern.
      Last edited by AntiMatter; 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Hello AntiMatter,

Thank you for that information.

So to clarify the connection to IQFeed is not lost on the server but on your local PC, correct?

Comment

I am running a server on AmazonWebServices. I have NinjaTrader and IQFeed running on this. I connect to this using RDP from a device (my phone, or an iPad, for instance), to check that everything is running smoothly. I am *not* running NT on the local machine.

It is when the RDP connection to the server drops, that the connection between NinjaTrader/IQFeed (e.g. which is simply a localhost loopback(?)) then seems to have problems.

Comment

Hello AntiMatter,

Thank you for your response.

Please send me your log and trace files from the remote system so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Support.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 892934

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Was there ever a resolution to this issue?

I have been having a similar problem with IQFeed disconnecting from NInjaTrader sporadically throughout the day then reconnecting. It occurs at least 5 times per day.

I, however, am not using 3G. I am connected directly with my cable plugged into my Comcast modem. Additionally, I am not experiencing any issue with my internet as my IB connection is never severed. It's 100% IQFeed.

I look forward to hearing the resolution and your thoughts.

fosh

Comment

Hello fosch,

Thank you for your post.

Each case can be different, please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 892934

Comment

would like to know if this ever got resolved?
                  i have the same issue with both iqfeed and IB, been talking to ninjatrader for months about this but still no resolution.

thanks

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, there is no additional information included in this case's notes however I would be happy to assist you further if you will contact me by email.

Please include a link to this forum thread in the body of your message.

KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

hi

still i big issue this for me.
                      i have now tried two different VPS companies, have been working with both iqfeed and IB, done hundreds of tests, but still no idea why this is happening.
                      it is not a resource issue as i am now on a dedicated server.
                      do you have any suggestions how to resolve this please?

Comment

Hello,

Please contact me by email by going to the Control Center window's Help-> Mail to Support menu.

Please include a link to this forum thread in the body of your message.

KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                        47 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post aligator  
                        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes