Chart trader suggestion for scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart trader suggestion for scaling

When you have chart trader activated on a particular chart, and when the scaling is set to Automatic, it scales the chart according to the lowest and highest data points in the currently visible set, plus the chart trader features itself. However, this also includes the entry price of your trade.

So for example, if you enter a trade and it runs 100 ticks in your favor, the automatic scaling will not only include your current stop orders and limit orders, but also the original price at which you entered. If you think about it, this element is really not necessary to include in the display all the time. If we are looking at a short-term chart and we are already far away from where we entered the trade, I don't want the whole chart scaled to include my original price so that everything get squished at the top or bottom... I just want to zoom in to where it is now. Any current stop/limit orders should of course be included in the scaling (since that is important as an active order set), but the original entry price line is just an informational element and can be excluded to give us a better short-term view on certain charts. The only way to fix this now is to manually set the scale to "fixed", which means you have to constantly keep scrolling. Can you include this feature in the next release (maybe as an option if you like), so that the origjnal entry price can be hidden off the top or bottom of the chart if it falls outside of the currently visible area?

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

There is an Auto-Scale function within the Chart Trader Properties that will set whether the orders are included in the scale or not.

Right click in the Chart Trader section of the Chart -> Properties -> Auto Scale field to False.

This is also looking to be improved in the next major version of NinjaTrader, and I will forward your feedback.
    CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cameron View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for your note.

There is an Auto-Scale function within the Chart Trader Properties that will set whether the orders are included in the scale or not.

Right click in the Chart Trader section of the Chart -> Properties -> Auto Scale field to False.

This is also looking to be improved in the next major version of NinjaTrader, and I will forward your feedback.
      Thanks... I've never even seen this setting screen before. it's counter-intuitive to think that you would have to right-click on the chart trader in a chart to get to this... it should be accessible as a global setting from the main menu, to set for all charts as once, as a default. Then you could override it for each chart as you mentioned. (And there should be a settings button there so we know that it exists, I never would have thought of right-clicking.)

As for the scaling, when I set it to false, I assume that it's not going to scale the stop or limit orders either, correct? Or will those still scale?

Comment

Hello,

I will provide your feedback for better intuitive functionality to our Development Team.

If you set the Auto Scale function to False then this will not scale Limit Orders, Stop Orders, or your Entry Price.

Comment

Hello,

I will provide your feedback for better intuitive functionality to our Development Team.

If you set the Auto Scale function to False then this will not scale Limit Orders, Stop Orders, or your Entry Price.
          Thanks... final question: will these settings be saved as part of the chart template? I assume so, just want to double-check...
          Last edited by Trader_55; 08-08-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Never mind, I tested it and it does appear to save...

Comment

Hello,

Yes, you are correct, this will be saved as part of a chart template.

Comment

Hello,

Right... just realized what you meant by this. It would be good to scale the active, open orders but not the entry price. That was the point I was trying to make.... can you add that as an option in the next release where the entry price is not scaled but the other things are?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification.

As you can tell, currently it is all scaled or none, I'll forward this clarification to our Development Team

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification.

As you can tell, currently it is all scaled or none, I'll forward this clarification to our Development Team
                    Thanks... the reason for this is simple. The reason people are using chart trader is to be able to move their stops on the screen. If you have to set the screen to fixed and then scroll around to select your stop, that is not helpful. Active orders I think should always be shown by default. Anyways, thanks for the help...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by ender_wiggum, Today, 09:50 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post ender_wiggum  
                    Started by bmartz, Today, 09:30 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes