Memory problem NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory problem NT

I am using 3 NT installations on three different computers: 1 for live trading, 1 for test and 1 for development. For the development NT I have a memory problem. If I start NT I noticed that it took a long time before the appliaction did start up. I noticed that by opening the windows task manager that the NT.exe process did consume 2GB of RAM. Even with a clean workspace loaded this does not decrease. At starying the application it also consumes a lot of processor time. If I compare that to the other installations, they only consumes 80Mb (for the test) and 250Mb (for live). The live one runs some strategies, so that's normal to consume some more RAM. But on the development systeme I even did not activate any strategy or connection. I already tried uninstalling the software and reinstaling it. That did not improve. I also upgraded to version 15, but no succes. Do you have an idea how this comes and more imporatntly how to solve this, because it is to slow to work with. I closed all the other software.

Kind regards,
    Rene

Hi Renejm,

Thanks for your post.

Do you have connect on startup set for any of the account connections in your configuration?

If so, please disable the connect on start up for all accounts. Then start NinjaTrader without a saved workspace again.

After this please let me know the memory usage of NinjaTrader.

To disable the connect on startup:
    • Click Tools -> Account Connections... -> select the account -> click the Change button
    • Click the Next button once to advance to the General account information page
    • Uncheck the box for Connect on startup:
    • Click Next until Finish, then click Finish
    • Restart NinjaTrader

Please let me know the memory usage after doing this.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have no connectio at startup. I have double checked that. I closed the workspaces and restarted NT. There is a little decrease in memory usage, but it is still 1.7GB and that looks not normal, because nothing is opened. So it seems that something else is not correct.

Kind regards,
      Rene

Comment

I notice that the last log and trace file are both very huge. Both are over 700Mb. So it seems that something went wrong.

Comment

Hi Renejm,

I would like to schedule a remote support session with you to investigate this.

Please send me an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. In the body of the email please write Attn: Chelsea #897421.

I look forward to receiving the email.

Comment

I have checked the trace file and this afternoon I see several 1000 lines with the following error message:
            2013-08-08 15:50:08:954 (Kinetick Live) Kinetick.Adapter.L1Worker: started L1 thread
            2013-08-08 15:50:08:954 ERROR: Kinetick.Adapter.L1Worker: msg='': De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.

So it seems that NT is trying it over and over (in the meantime I already restarted the workstation but no luck).

Kind regards,
            Rene

Comment

By the way today I haven't done any change to my code of the strategies.

Comment

For others reading this thread, we resolved the issue by re-naming and re-creating the NinjaTrader 7 folder, then moving all strategies, indicators, workspaces, config, and templates to the new folder.

Comment

Excessive Memory Usage by NT (13+ GB)

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                  For others reading this thread, we resolved the issue by re-naming and re-creating the NinjaTrader 7 folder, then moving all strategies, indicators, workspaces, config, and templates to the new folder.
                  I noted this previous reply but not sure if this meant the folder was copied then NT reinstalled or whatever. Would rather not do this if possible.

My NT 64bit sometimes used excess memory. Have set up with one basic 5 min chart on ES, data connections disabled. When starting, NT it will gradually use up to 13 GB of memory before finally starting (after nearly 2 minutes) and will plateau at that level (will eventually use up to max of nearly 16GB when other charts loaded). The log file directly after a restart is also 4.6 GB+. Running on Windows 7, i7 CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD (normally very responsive). No problems with any other software. Have rebooted multiple times, etc.

Any ideas appreciated.
                  Last edited by Ozefex; 07-19-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Hello Ozefex,

Can you please proceed as follows. Make sure NinjaTrader is shut down and navigate to the folder below.

Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces

Delete the _Workspaces file. This will not delete your workspaces, but ensures no workspaces will be opened on startup.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1, you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.

Start NinjaTrader and check if the excessive memory usage remains.

If not, please open your workspaces one by one at Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace. Check each time if the issue recurs to determine what workspace is the culprit.

Once you identified the workspace that is causing the issue, please shut down NinjaTrader and delete the _Workspaces.xml file once more.

Start NinjaTrader and rebuild your workspace step by step and check what is causing the excessive memory. Could it be a custom created indicator is the culprit - it causes a loop which results in the excessive memory usage?
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason, Thanks for your response. I deleted the _Workspaces file as suggested and restarted without a data connection or existing workspace, but NT still used 11 GB before it finally opened.

Comment

Can you please send me your log and trace files so I can investigate. Go to Control Center-->Help-->Mail to Support in NinjaTrader. Put 'Att Jason, Memory problem NT' in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'.
                        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason. Files sent, but about 5 GB each.

Comment

Jason, I found one of your other posts (Version 7 Beta General Questions & Bug Reports) where you said to delete the log & trace files. I did that and restarted and memory use dropped significantly.

I then shut down and read the log file and found a possible error in a custom indicator. I removed that from 2 charts (but missed it on another), restarted and memory usage down to 372,000K - much better than 11 - 15 GB. Haven't completely isolated the problem, but deleting the log files sure helped.
                            Last edited by Ozefex; 07-20-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

How many log files were there?? And were they huge?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jaybedreamin