Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to export and import custom symbols?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to export and import custom symbols?

Hi,

I need to add about several hundreds symbols to Instrument Manager (IM).

Some of the symbols may already be defined in IM, some may not. I understand I can add them in IM one by one, but what if I need to add about hundreds of new symbols? Is there any more convenient bulk add method? May be via editing text files or via editing SQL database?

Another question would be how could I export my custom symbols so I could import them on my another machine? Is there a procedure?

Thank you.

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

You can import a list of symbols using the Import Stock Symbol List method. You will want to group these by the exchange.

To do this:
    • Click File -> Utilities -> Import Stock Symbol List...
    • Enter each symbol separated by a comma, semicolon, or new line
    • Select the exchange in the Traded on: field
    • Select an instrument list if you would like to add these to an instrument list at this time
    • Click OK

Below is a link to the help guide on Importing a List of Stock Symbols.

These instruments are stored in the NinjaTrader database file. To transfer these to a new computer you will need to transfer the database file. The easiest way to do this is to use the backup and restore function of NinjaTrader.

Below I have provided a link to the Backup & Restore section of our help guide.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...p__restore.htm

Additionally below is a link to our NinjaTrader 7 Tips - Backing Up Settings To A Second PC YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCp9ebpV1M&list=PL82A14C398CA140D7&index= 5&feature=plpp_video

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Chelsea.

Is it possible to download stock symbols that are not defined in NinjaTrader from somewhere? May be you have text files?

By the way, what happens if I add existent symbols? It appears they would be silently overwritten. In order to determine if symbol exists in NinjaTrader I would have to manually check each one, which is not efficient.

So the best way would be to download a stock list of stocks that are not included into NinjaTrader. If you could point out to such a list that would be great.

Comment

Hello alex.nt,

Thanks for your reply.

We do not have a list of stocks that are not loaded in NinjaTrader to import.
        If you attempt to add a stock that is already in NinjaTrader there will be no change or duplication of that instrument.
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post arvidvanstaey  
        Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
        16 responses
        0 likes