Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time delayed in Order Placing

Dear Sir,

When I placed an ATM by clicking the middle mouse button at a certain price level, there is a few seconds delayed between the level is hit and the time the Order is filled. I'm using a Demo Account. In the past, it seems much faster. Is this normal?

Thanks.
    Tiffany

Hello Tiffany,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader's simulation account is pre-configured to perform as realistically as possible however if you'd like to see orders executed immediately when price is hit that is an option. The following steps should be taken to enable immediate fills:
    • Open the Options menu (Tools > Options) then navigate to the Simulator tab.
    • Check the box labeled 'Enforce Immediate Fills'
    • Click OK to apply the change and exit the options menu.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

SuperDOM and other Order Entry Windows

Dear Sir,

Thanks for reply. The delay seems to be longer and longer compared with the past when I first installed the software. This delay has nothing to do with the server of the broker. Is that correct?

In a live account, what's is a typical difference between the price when the order is placed and the price when the order is actually filled? What's is a typical time delay between the two? This difference in time and price is related to the speed of the broker server. Is that correct?

Best regards,

Tiffany

Comment

Hello tiffanychan887,

Thanks for your reply.

That is correct, when trading to the sim101 account the delay of a fill has nothing to do with the broker/server. You may want to try to reset your database. this will clear all historical trade infromation however.
        To do this disconnect from any providers and go to Tools> Options> Data> ResetDB

The fill time in a live market can greatly vary from almost immediately to minutes. This will vary per instrument based on how volatile the market is and your position in line to get filled. Getting filled is like waiting in a line at a grocery store, others who placed their orders first will need to get processed first.
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Dear Kyle,

So does it mean that even If I have a protective stop, there is still a possiblity that in times of great fluctuations, I may still suffer losses much greater than the stop level I've set. I'm trading Crude Oil in NYMEX.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tiffany

Comment

Hi Tiffany,

If a stop limit order is used as the protective stop (as it would by default) any possible losses are typically minimized however you should speak with your broker to better understand what types of fills you could expect during times of extreme volatility.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by tiffanychan887 View Post
              Dear Kyle,

So does it mean that even If I have a protective stop, there is still a possiblity that in times of great fluctuations, I may still suffer losses much greater than the stop level I've set. I'm trading Crude Oil in NYMEX.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tiffany
              Yes. A Stop Loss is just an order. There is no guarantee that you will get filled at any price, at the time that is best for you.

If you use a Market Order, you will get filled at an indeterminate price, that is the worst possible when the order gets filled. The Stop will trigger at the price that you set, and be executed at the price that exists when you get filled. I have seen instances where this can be 5 ticks from the Stop price. I would imagine that on Crude Oil, which trades like a drunken goat, it could even be worse. On the other hand, if you use a Stop Limit, then when you are triggered in, a Limit Order will be generated at the price that you specify. If the market has gone past that price, it will not be filled at all, and you could lose a whole lot more. Moreover, that Limit order will now be filled when the market is coming back in the direction that you wanted it to go in the first place! Oops.

In other words, remain vigilant, especially in a fast moving market. A Stop Loss guarantees little.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by PhillT, 04-19-2024, 02:16 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post PhillT
              by PhillT

Started by ageeholdings, 05-01-2024, 05:22 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes