Focused Strategy Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focused Strategy Management

You've done a wonderful job with NT V5. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for one more important feature that was available in V4 that's missing in V5.

Eventhough I was using"Display Selected Strategy Only"mode, I closed out long-term positions 3 times today because I accidentally hit the CLOSE button on a DOM that wasn't even displaying the positions. It is frustrating and costly. Seeing the total number of contracts in the DOM as we did in V4 is great, but you shouldn't be able to effect positions that aren't displayed.Why can't we have, as an option at least, true V4 functionality in this regard, i.e., see total position size but not be able to effect a position or orders outside of the displayed position strategyunless opting to do so via a right click option.

Anything that adds to the thought process or causes stress in this business is a negative, and having to worry about long-term positions in a DOM used for short-term trading is definitely a negative, IMHO.

If one isn't an active trader with multiple positions, then I'm sure this issue isn't of any concern to them. And if the concern is one of not realizing an order is floating around because you can't see it in the DOM, well, all one has to do is glance at their broker's platform or the control center and it'll tell all.

Thanks in advance.

imported post

I can see your point but at the same time I can make arguments against you. I did wrestle with this specific logic and obviously settled on keeping it functional. What if there was a prompt that would force you to press "YES" in this situation? That way, traders could still close the position (although one extra step) and others would say "NO" if they pressed it by accident.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Sorry in advance for the lengthypost, but I want you to be able to view this issue from a perspective other thanthe wayI think you are viewing it. I can only speak from my personal experiences as a trader and of course from the "I need it / want it" side of the equation, although I'm trying to set that aside here. Please take this post as I intend it -- just to clarify the importance of the issue.

I'm trying to envision what advantage this current logic offers that I'm not seeing.The only thing I can seeisthat it's a little faster to "flatten everything within a given market", if you need to,which is an additional optionto "flatten everything across all markets." But then, it adds a new level of complexityand/or extra steps for traders with multiple positions within the same market, which weren't necessary in NT v4.

Most of the traders I've worked with over the years (including myself) handle the long-term, short-term trade management issue by using separate accounts. NT v4 allowed us to manage multiple positions (treated as viewed by the trader -- asseparate or distinct positions). Long term trades were easily closed out from the "Positions" page with a simple right click option so there was never any confusion from within a DOM as to what orders belonged to which strategy AND which scale order would effect which position. The addition of "Strategy Selection Modes" solved 95% of the confusion, or perhaps better framed as the need to be more careful because the NT5 DOM was much less intuitive. So far, so good.

I suppose a pop up confirmation window would work, but I believe that it would be a second class solution.My experience with developers and/or engineers is that theyfrequently don'tunderstand all the things end users have to deal with when using their products because of thevast diversity of users and applications. And I understand that I may be the only one with an issue here, and that's fine. But please envision this to understand the importance of the issue from one active traders circumstances:

I have 11 monitors, trade 4 different markets aggressively intra-day and am watching 5 to 9 others managing longer-term trades. For my more active trading I dedicate one screen permarketand havea separate DOM in the upper right-hand corner of each screen for each market. I don't want to be flipping charts, changing DOM settings or dealing with anything else intra-day. I have over 100 windows open simultaneously intra-day and rarely have to touch orminimize/maximize anything. All I want to do is trade aggressively and I need to be relaxed and focused during the day and not have to deal with distractions. I'm only pointing this out because I know that other traders view programming distractions as I do...we hate them because they always cause losses in missed opportunities, execution errors, etc.. Pop-up windows sometimes don't pop up on top and that can be a real issue with large multi-monitor workstations. Yes, they can be forced to be on top, but there are times when they conflict with video drivers that over-ride these settings, pop-up off screen, etc., etc.,(nVidia is notorious for this). So a pop-up window would be my last choice.

I can't help wondering why,since you already segregate trades by strategy, wouldn't it be possible (and a cleaner, better solution) to just:

1 -make it a DOM properties option to allow the "DOM Close button" to either "Flatten everything within a given market" as it does now orrestrict it to just the trade being displayed, as it worked in v4, and...

2 - add a "Position Strategies" tab to the control center like we had in NT v4 (or add the "Group Trades By Strategy" option to the existing Positions page) so we can just right click on the long-term positions and close them out, on the fly, without any confusion. It was so simple and unambiguous in NT v4.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted you to view this issue from an active traders point of view.

Thanks much for any consideration you give this issue. I know these have been challenging times for NT and deeply appreciate your efforts to meet our needs/desires whiledealing with all the other technical/legal issues of late.

Comment

imported post

I've had the same issue. Clicking on Close All, thinking I was closing the position in one DOM and then realizing I had inadvertently closed all positions.

One thought was to have an extra line in the right click that says CLOSE POSITION IN THIS DOM *ONLY* and another that simply says Close ALL POSITIONS IN *ALL* DOMs.

But pretty happy over all otherwise.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post Jon17
        by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM