Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issues with IB data & symbols on NT charts

Hi There
    I have a new IB account and have got the supported NT version for TWS installed and have made the API connection using the NT instructions...that part is all good.
    I have not been able to get the live data to show on my NT charts. The errors are typically what is already on the forum and have followed these fix suggestions without success.
    I have been trying on both US and JPY stocks, but nothing.
    Errors have included:
    > Error in loading chart data for '4502 Default'
    > Error in requesting historical data from IB
    > No security definition has been found for the request (200)
    > Error on loading chart data for 'IWM default': Unable to change order: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager IWM default.
    > Unable to subscribe to market data: Please assign and additional exchange to this instrument in the instrument manager IWM default.

I have tried but have not met with much success.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards

Hello,

Thank you for your post

This message indicates that the exchange which is currently selected (default in this case) is incorrect. What exchange does IB's Trader Workstation show should be used?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The symbols 'Primary Exchange' is TSEJ. (Exchange is shown as SMART with TSEJ & CHIXJ in an information bubble attached)
      I have unchecked 'Default' in the instrument manager and checked Tse in the list. I still get the same error message and when I go back to the instrument manager the default and the Tse are checked.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Symbols which consist only of numbers do not function within NinjaTrader in all cases however this may be something we can configure using the change I've outlined below:
        Open the Instrument Manager (Tools > Instrument Manager)
        Select 4502 from the list on the right then click Edit.
        Move to the Misc tab of the Instrument Editor.
        Under the Symbol Map section next to Interactive Brokers, enter: 4502|TSEJ
        Click OK.
        Try reloading the chart,

Please note that the '|' symbol above is a line break. This key is available on my keyboard when holding Shift and clicking '\'.

Comment

That seemed to do it, thanks! I will now have to go through the rest one by one and hopefully get the same result.

Comment

TWS and Ninjatrader - Every stock ticker I have to go into Instrument Manager.

I'm having a similar problem, I'm daytrading and "every" time I punch in a stock I get the pop up error that I have selected default and that I must go and select the proper exchange from the instrument manager.

I'm pulling my hair out, because I'm trying to daytrade and pull up my charts, but every flipping time I have to go into the instruments manager and select the correct exchange. Once the ticker has the correct exchange I can reload it, but major pain in the butt.

My data is coming from IB for ARCA, NASDAQ, and NYSE.

How do I fix this so that I can pull any chart without having to goto the instrument manager all the time? I don't want to go bald using Ninjatrader....

Comment

mjeebusbox,

You can do a mass stock symbol import for the particular exchange for the instruments.

File -> Utilities -> Import Stock Symbol List

You will need to use all the symbols for the same exchange at that same time.
              I.E. Do all your NYSE symbols then import, all of the NASDAQ then import, etc.
              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stock_symb.htm
              Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Any update?

Hi,

Have there been any recent NT updates to fix this problem? I have the exact same challenge as mjeebusbox and it is a MAJOR problem in the rear behind!

This should be a non-issue - it is a basic requirement that needs to be fixed asap. I trade different stocks every day and I SHOULDN'T have to look up the exchange for each symbol and update (whether mass update or individual), nor do I have the time.

I have subscribed to Kinetick to try to get around the problem - but IB will not allow me to place any orders for the same reason (default exchange).

Do you have any plans to fix this issue in NT7 and/or NT8?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello shadowfax,

Thank you for your post.

We plan to implement further updates to the instrument database in the major release of NinjaTrader. I have no word if this will directly be corrected, but the updates should be automatic.

Comment

I believe I am experiencing similar issues. Have been trading futures with ninja for a few years and now am adding stocks. BUT I do not seem to be able to get many symbols up on ninja charts even though I am paying for the data at my broker IB.

I can see the charts in TWS, but can't even get the symbols to show up with the search within the Instrument Manager. Here a just a few examples : NUGT, VIX, GOOGL, TWTR, GPRO, USO...etc. I, too am a day trader and what I trade, varies every day depending on the market action. Please help me with this "hair pulling" issue. thank you

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Preconfigured instruments for VIX and GOOGL should be avaialble by default. Please open the Instrument Manager (Tools > Instrument Manager) in the 'Type' field, is the Stock option showing?

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument.

Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools> Instrument Manager
                      Press the 'New' button
                      *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                      Fill in any relevant information under the 'Misc' tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
                      Press the 'OK' button
                      * If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list.

Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.

Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the 'Instrument lists' drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                      Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                      Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                      Press the '<' button to add the instrument to the list
                      You are now complete and can press the 'OK' button.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by mmenigma, Yesterday, 03:25 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                      Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes