Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to connect to IB real & demo?

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to my IB demo account after having connected to my IB real money account first. Unfortunately I get an error message that the target computer denied the connection (IB.Adapter.MessageLoop).

Is it not possible to trade live and in parallel test something in the demo account? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    NutFlush

Hello NutFlush,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader can connect to multiple different Interactive Brokers accounts that have separate login username and passwords at the same time.

To set this up please see the instructions below.
    *In order to do this you must manually start Traders Workstation multiple times for each account first in the morning, then connect with NinjaTrader since the auto startup functionality does not work with multiple logins.
    First manually start Traders Workstation from the desktop, if you have two accounts start it up twice with each account logged in
    When platform has started click Configure> API Settings> Socket Port> Provide a unique value to each Traders Workstation
    Default is 7496, leave this as is for the first username
    Add 1 to this value to be 7497 on the second account so each account has a unique port value
    In your NinjaTrader connection for this account, match the port with what you specify in Traders Workstation for each account connection.
    Connect in NinjaTrader using File> Connect
    You will do this twice for both account connections

Don't hesitate to contact us with any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

As of the last time I traded with IB (perhaps a year or so ago), IB did NOT allow logging into your Paper Trading Account and real account at the same time. This is NOT a Ninjatrader issue. You can check this out yourself by simply trying to open multiple TWS's at the same time. Unless something has changed at IB, you won't be able to do this with the Paper acct and the real acct at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by coolmoss View Post
        As of the last time I traded with IB (perhaps a year or so ago), IB did NOT allow logging into your Paper Trading Account and real account at the same time. This is NOT a Ninjatrader issue. You can check this out yourself by simply trying to open multiple TWS's at the same time. Unless something has changed at IB, you won't be able to do this with the Paper acct and the real acct at the same time.
        coolmoss,

by following the instructions above I am currently logged into both my real account (a strategy already placed a live trade) and my paper trading account (no orders sent yet, but all looks fine).

Cheers,
        NutFlush

Comment

Thanks NutFlush! It's great that IB changed their rules on this. It was a bit drconian and LOTS of clients were really unhappy about this. It's part of why I left IB.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post mattbsea  
          Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post RideMe