Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alerts Window Extra Columns Possible ?

Hello,
    No sure if this is the right area to post my question......
    The question is related to the 'Alerts Window' and not direct towards the 'Market Analyzer' but is see many people relate them to each other.

My setup:
    I use 1 single Instrument ES (S&P future) but with 60 different charts, each chart uses a different time frame (1,2,3-60 minutes) and each chart has 3 indicators who can give alerts.

When i use the 'Alerts Window' the alerts do show up correct, but the current 4 columns and subsequent rows just give basic info. 'Instrument Name','Priority','Time','Message'.
    As i use 60 times the same instrument none of the columns/rows pinpoint me towards which chart gave the alert. (i need to know this as an alert on a 1 minute time frame needs a different trade than a 60 minute time frame)

Questions
    1. Is there a way to add an extra string to the Column-row 'Instrument Name' so i can identify the chart with the alert. (thinking at; Label, Period Type, Period Value.)
    (i read something on an other forum about this, but have no idea where to place this type of code, in my Indicators ? (indicators are from Fibozachi and i dont see them in the 'edit indicator' window)

2. Adding extra column(s) to the alerts window by coding ?
    - a column with period type/value
    - a column with the name of the Indicator giving the alert

One other point, I would have thought that a double click (or Right Click>Send To>Chart) would pull the chart with the alert, but it just loads a basic instrument chart without anything, is that correct ? or a wrong setting somewhere on my side....?

Ps: i did try to set up something with the market analyzer, but i prefer the Alerts Window as it give a time stamp and latest alert on top.

Thanks
    Peter

Notes:
    1. did sent an email to the guys who developed the software, if they can integrate it into the 'message' column.
    2. I found an indicator in the 'edit indicator' area called, 'UserDefinedMethods' is it maybe possible to add coding in this indicator to have extra text in the message column of the alerts window....and thereafter add the indicator to my charts..?
    Last edited by mokum777; 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM.

Hi mokum777, thanks for the post.

Unfortunately you could not custom enhance the window this way to show this info, best approach would be integrating directly into the alert string you receive from the 3rd party study.

Yes, the Send to chart would be working as expected - it's meant to open a basic chart for this symbol basically and not to open up the alert chart / signal itself.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Bertrand,
      I checked last couple of days a lot before posting, and i thought so.
      My only hope is that the provider of the indicator can include it (at cost....) as 'message' column of the 'Alerts Window' can be customized (it looks like that...).

But 1 small question.
      I saw this 'UserDefinedMethods' indicator, you think with some programming i can create extra message 'text' into the Alerts Window, or is this 'UserDefinedMethods' indicator something for a completely different use. ?

Many thanks
      Peter

Comment

You're welcome Peter, customizing the Alert string returned shouldn't be a big deal...

The UserDefinedMethods would be for another use altogether, you can here create your own methods / functions that would be available to other scripts -

Comment

Hello Bertand,

Just a last quick note.
          Yes thanks for the heads up, i have to get in touch we the provider of the indicator software. I hope they can change some wording in their software did sent them an email about it.

Steep learning curve from my side last couple of months, Ninjatrader gives a lot of attention towards indicators & automated strategies, but i think the 'Alerts Window' is in the end a great tool to combine what you see in the indicators, but it seems that there is almost no attention towards this window?

Maybe many (or most?) 'ninjas' lol use automated strategies, but if not the 'alerts window' can visualize what normally is done by automated strategies. (maybe iam wrong in this)

Anyhow many thanks i am 1 step further !

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter, glad to see you persisting through the learning curve to now start reaping the benefits of a powerful and flexible platform. If we can assist on anything let us know either in the forums or via email (support at ninjatrader dot com). Not sure if you're aware already but there's lots of educational content regularly updated is on our YouTube site - http://www.youtube.com/user/NinjaTraderLLC - in addition we have free daily webinars teaching various aspects of the platform - http://www.ninjatrader.com/Education.php

I'm not sure on exact numbers but our user base is very diversified, of course there's a lot of custom development done as we're just offering a lot of great features in this regard. Perhaps the Alert window is one of the things that is not so widely discussed but simply used? As it would not have that much options etc to adjust / toggle. Whatever you're missing about it please let us know so we can make sure to track those thoughts in our product enhancement lists, currently we're working hard on the next major update of the platform behind the scenes.

All the best,

Comment

Hi mokum777

I just saw your post and thought I'd let you know how we customize our alert window messages in our indicators, to add in some of the details you're after.

If you wish to add this info yourself via ninjascript, it can be done relatively easily as Bertrand mentioned by changing the Alert string.

We edit the "message" field within the Alert string to include items from BarsPeriod

Here are some references from the NT 7 help guide...
              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/index.html?alert.htm
              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/index.html?barsperiod.htm

Cheers

Comment

;Hello,
                Thanks for your heads up, but in my case i lease indicators from 'fibozachi' but they never followed up on my request. (iam told them that i was willing to pay for the change....) I know if you have the source code its easy to add an extra string, but unfortunately the indicators i have are protected (DLL or something like that.)

But i got a 'work around' by creating over 200 instruments and naming each instrument after a signal alert i want to check:
                FDAX_1_MIN_MACD_DIV (DAX Futures MACD Divergence alert on FDAX 1 Minute chart)
                FDAX_2_MIN_RSI_DIV (DAX Futures RSI Divergence alert on FDAX 2 Minute chart)
                FDAX_LB_3_BPV_1_MACD (DAX Futures MACD 3 Line Break Chart with Base Point Value 1
                ect...
                Then selecting the corresponding chart period with my created 'indicator wording'
                It works but a lot of work..... (and not a perfect solution, as i can not check multiple signals in the same chart.... so having 60-80 charts open is now normal for me )

Greetings
                Peter
                Last edited by mokum777; 10-12-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

No worries Peter
                  Wow, sounds like you have had to go to a lot of effort to achieve the results you after.

At least you have the alert info now if you're ever writing you're own custom indicators

Cheers
                  Stuart

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                  Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                  0 responses