Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between templates

Hi,

Since I am not really experienced in trade futures I was wondering what the difference between the "default 24/7" & "use instrument settings" is?

Does this have something to do with after hours or something?

Why would I select "use instrument settings" if it does not display every bar? What is the point of incomplete charts?

Hello MarsOptimus,

The session template controls the time frame that data is displayed for on the chart. The default24/7 template will show data for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

With '<Use instrument settings>' selected, the session template listed in the Instrument Editor window for the instrument will be used. You can check the session template by going to Tools > Instrument Manager, searching for the instrument, selecting it and clicking Edit. Then checking the Session template setting in the Instrument Editor window.

You can view/edit/create session templates in the Session Manager window. Below is a link to the Session Manager section of our help guide.

Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherS View Post
      Hello MarsOptimus,

The session template controls the time frame that data is displayed for on the chart. The default24/7 template will show data for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

With '<Use instrument settings>' selected, the session template listed in the Instrument Editor window for the instrument will be used. You can check the session template by going to Tools > Instrument Manager, searching for the instrument, selecting it and clicking Edit. Then checking the Session template setting in the Instrument Editor window.

You can view/edit/create session templates in the Session Manager window. Below is a link to the Session Manager section of our help guide.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...on_manager.htm
      So it does have something to do with after hours?

Or if otherwise; what is the point of incomplete charts?

Comment

Hello MarsOptimus,

The Default24/7 template will show after hours trading.

You will want to select the session template that contains the time frame you want data displayed on the chart for. You may not want to see 24/7 worth of data.

Comment

Hi MarsOptimus,
          The session templates do control the hours/time periods (based on start and end times) of data displayed on your chart, and they will also control where your session break line is displayed on a chart.
          The different session templates you're referring to are set for the applicable trading sessions of the markets they refer to and are often broken down into Regular Trading Hours (RTH) and Extended Trading Hours (ETH) depending on exactly which trading session you wish to display (some like to see the opening gap between the regular trading sessions so in this case would use the applicable RTH session template in order to highlight these gaps rather than an extended trading hours ETH one).

Comment

Originally posted by GlobalTradingTools_Stuart View Post
            Hi MarsOptimus,
            The session templates do control the hours/time periods (based on start and end times) of data displayed on your chart, and they will also control where your session break line is displayed on a chart.
            The different session templates you're referring to are set for the applicable trading sessions of the markets they refer to and are often broken down into Regular Trading Hours (RTH) and Extended Trading Hours (ETH) depending on exactly which trading session you wish to display (some like to see the opening gap between the regular trading sessions so in this case would use the applicable RTH session template in order to highlight these gaps rather than an extended trading hours ETH one).
            Thank you for the post GTT (/Christopher).

I have another follow up question, hope you don't mind;

Which template is mostly used? Say I would draw a price channel, obviously I would get different versions on an ETH template & a RTH template. Which version would have the most "value" ?

(I know it would be wise to have view them both, but still).
            Last edited by MarsOptimus; 09-23-2013, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarsOptimus View Post
              Thank you for the post GTT (/Christopher).

I have another follow up question, hope you don't mind;

Which template is mostly used? Say I would draw a price channel, obviously I would get different versions on an ETH template & a RTH template. Which version would have the most "value" ?

(I know it would be wise to have view them both, but still).
              Hi MarsOptimus,

Whether to use the regular trading hours (RTH) or the extended trading hours (ETH) can often depend on the product you're trading.
              If a market is actively traded in different market sessions/time zones across the 24hr period (such as FOREX, Gold, etc) then there is good reason to use the extended trading hours option for your price channels.

There are however other markets (such as some indices) which are not heavily traded "out of hours" and can tend to follow the dominant market at that time. These markets may be ones to consider the regular trading hours option for your price channels (but ensure you do testing on this for the particular markets you trade).

This is naturally a generalized response however hope this helps to answer your question.
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by GlobalTradingTools_Stuart View Post
                Hi MarsOptimus,

Whether to use the regular trading hours (RTH) or the extended trading hours (ETH) can often depend on the product you're trading.
                If a market is actively traded in different market sessions/time zones across the 24hr period (such as FOREX, Gold, etc) then there is good reason to use the extended trading hours option for your price channels.

There are however other markets (such as some indices) which are not heavily traded "out of hours" and can tend to follow the dominant market at that time. These markets may be ones to consider the regular trading hours option for your price channels (but ensure you do testing on this for the particular markets you trade).

This is naturally a generalized response however hope this helps to answer your question.
                Cheers
                Yes this seems like sound logic. Thank you!

Another q, feel free to ignore me if you're not here to answer newbie questions

How come some instruments, like the 30 year bond, have the same RTH as ETH hours (meaning there is no difference between the two templates)?

When I view other chart sources, outside of Ninja, there do seem to be after-hours?

Comment

Originally posted by MarsOptimus View Post
                  Yes this seems like sound logic. Thank you!

Another q, feel free to ignore me if you're not here to answer newbie questions

How come some instruments, like the 30 year bond, have the same RTH as ETH hours (meaning there is no difference between the two templates)?

When I view other chart sources, outside of Ninja, there do seem to be after-hours?
                  Hi MarsOptimus
                  I'm not sure which specific pre-installed session templates have the same settings for RTH and ETH, however if you've found some this would be best directed to NinjaTrader support with the exact session template names of the RTH and ETH that are setup with the same hours/times (from Tools/Session Manager screen).

I had a quick look in the session manager at the templates and can see that the interest rate RTH and ETH templates are displaying different session times.
                  Cheers

Comment

Hello MarsOptimus,

You can view/edit/create session templates in the Session Manager window.
                    Please see the link below for further information.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Spiderbird, Today, 12:15 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Spiderbird  
                    Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes