End Date not updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End Date not updating

I have been an NT user for many years now. I have a professional trading business and I trade every day with NT 64 bit v.7. Of all problems I have encountered in using any platform, the end date not updating is one of the worst. All versions of NT v.7 since it first was released have had this problem. I have reported the problem several times, and I have had technical support look into it, but it has never been resolved. Yesterday it happened again, and I lost several thousand dollars as a result.

The problem description is quite simple: you have all your charts Data Series "End Date" set to the current day. The next morning the charts do not roll to the next day. There is no pop-up that tells you that your charts are not getting a data feed. All windows in fact show you have a valid data feed. Orders, and DOM etc. all show valid active data feeds. But the "End Date" is now yesterday and not today. I have TF 12-13, ES 12-13, ZC 12-13, ZN 12-13. They all were current on 9/16, but on 9/17 they decided, after months of auto-updating to the current day, not to. Well I shouldn't go quite that far, at least 1 month ago. This happens every 1 or 2 months and the last time was about 1 month ago. I also lost money then. Note that I also reboot my computer and restart NT at least once per week.

If I hadn't reported it so many times it would be one thing. But there is always some "reason" given for why it happens. And perhaps Ninja working together with my particular data feed of Rithmic only has a problem. But if tech support only looks for certain cases to solve, then that should be disclosed and I'll trade on another platform.

I was told by tech support in a PM to gather enough people together with this problem to get interest in it being fixed! So if anyone else is seeing this please speak up. What NT support doesn't realize is that people just move to another platform when they see bugs like this. They don't stick around like I have. So you don't realize how serious the problem is.

What I also really don't understand is why they allow the engineers to continue with this architecture? Why don't you have a check box that says, "always stay with the current date if checked"? Then all they have to do is check the end date against the current date and put up a popup, "Warning: end date is out of sync!"

I am a software engineer, and I offered to help architect a solution in the past. It is an easy problem to permanently fix. It is not a matter of fixing this one case or that other one case, which they have done for two years now. It is a matter of fixing all possible cases by putting in a test at the end point, not the starting point.

Now I realize I'm frustrated and I'm trying to be fair, but there really has been a very tepid technical response. I mean, I have a really good track record of finding bugs, and bugs that have been fixed in NT. I don't give anyone a hard time when the bugs get fixed. And I am the kind of customer you want to work with as we can both improve what we do. Thanks for your consideration of this problem.

For other users out there, please speak up if you have ever seen this! I don't personally think this should even be necessary, as such a critical bug should already be top priority, but that is what I was told.
    Last edited by tradetree; 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM.

Hi TradeTree,

Thank you for the detailed report.

For any users experiencing this behavior I'd like to know the following:

- What timezone are you physically located?
    - What timezone is your PC clock set to?
    - What session template is being used on the chart? Is it a 24/7 session template, or is it a limited session?
    - Were there any disconnect events either manually or due to connectivity issues in this period?

I would also like to look over any log and trace files for the date the chart did not reflect the end date, and the previous day as well. Please send these into platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and include a reference to this thread.

Please let me know if there any questions.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Brandon; 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Matthew,
      Thank you for working on this, but I think there is a more important issue here. The timezone, PC clock, session template, and disconnect events may explain why the current design of NT failed to update the end date, but it doesn't explain why these items should be important for NT in the first place. Keeping the end date current should not be dependent on session template etc. The only thing that should matter is that your PC clock is the current time. In other words, you PC is not broken.

I have been through this issue so many times already that I know it won't be found, because there are so many conditions under which it can occur. The reason there are so many conditions is that NT made end date rollover be dependent on things like session template. Why? It would help me greatly to see if there is any logic in choosing to tie end date roll to the session template.

I'll give you another example. The last time this happened they found my data provider had a disconnect on Sun. and Mon my dates did not roll. My data provider was back by Sun. eve. but the dates on Mon. still did not roll. That was the explanation. Please understand I'm trying to be reasonable here, but all I get are solutions that are not solutions. In this example it is a design flaw with NT to not roll on Mon because the data provider goes down on Sun afternoon and is back up by Sun eve. What makes this process frustrating is that this basic truth is not acknowledged.

Back to my first point, it may be that NT does not roll end dates when a data provider temporarily stops sending data, but that should not be how it works. If it was designed correctly it would roll the end date or put up a dialogue box notifying the trader of the time gap. It has all the information to do so.

Please let me know if you think NT is designed correctly and why?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
      Hi TradeTree,

Thank you for the detailed report.

For any users experiencing this behavior I'd like to know the following:

- What timezone are you physically located?
      - What timezone is your PC clock set to?
      - What session template is being used on the chart? Is it a 24/7 session template, or is it a limited session?
      - Were there any disconnect events either manually or due to connectivity issues in this period?

I would also like to look over any log and trace files for the date the chart did not reflect the end date, and the previous day as well. Please send these into support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and include a reference to this thread.

Please let me know if there any questions.
      Last edited by tradetree; 09-19-2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

No, I do not consider this expected behavior by design and would classify it as a bug. I agree that it can be improved and will reviewing in the next major release.

Bug fixes and usability concerns are being reserved for that version, unless there is significant demand to fix and issue. I currently do not have enough reports to pursue fixing as any changes here could have further unintended consequences that may lead to other unknown issues.

The information requested is for research and development purposes to ensure we can account for all cases moving forward.

Comment

When can we expect that next major release? Do I have to pay anything to get the upgrade with my multi-broker license? Is ninjascript backward compatible?

Comment

I have the EXACT same issue, i agree, it is extremely frustrating to have to constantly do this on all the charts that I have open.

Comment

Originally posted by tradetree View Post
              When can we expect that next major release? Do I have to pay anything to get the upgrade with my multi-broker license? Is ninjascript backward compatible?
              We do not have an ETA on the next release at this time.

There will be not cost associated with upgrading.

It is guaranteed that there will be changes required to your NinjaScript's in terms of method signatures, etc. It's too early to say exactly what will be different, but we will be providing documentation for the code breaking changes early on.

Comment

I have taken somewhat extreme measures to ensure the date update problem doesn't hit me again. I upload once per hour from my Ninjascript (automated) to my webserver the bar data, and if I don't get this upload within 0.5 hours I send a text to my cell. Of course I do this just for normal trading hours. If the enddate roll ever doesn't happen I should be notified. Kind of crazy to have to do this when it would be so easy in the code to do this check, but I've given up waiting for NT to do something...

Comment

I have the same issue too. In my case it did not update on Tuesday after the holiday on US market. I screw up a trade because of this.
                  Is there any update on a delivery date for the fix ? I completely agree with tradetree that is a major design issue.

Comment

tradetree: I found out that you can reference the "End Date" from you script by:

ChartControl.BarsArray[0].BarsData.To

So you can do so do something when it's not the current date.

Hope this helps

Comment

NinjaTrader,

Is there any update on a fix for the end date not updating? It also happens to me every couple of weeks or so and is a major PITA. It happens with session templates of RTH, ETH, or if I just use the "Use instrument settings". I'm not sure why it matters, but I'm in EST and my PC clock is set to the same. As has already been suggested, why is it so difficult to just add a check box or something to use the PC clock's current date?

Comment

Hello bksmm,

Thanks for your reply.

Development is looking into this and testing with NinjaTrader 8. This has not been resolved with the current release of NinjaTrader.
                        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm also finding that I have to change the end date of my charts to the current date . . . every single day.

Comment

Hello dolomite,

Thanks for your post.

Please email platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with the information in post 2
                            BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I also have the End Date not updating issue.

I have charts with multiple data series. On the same chart some of the secondary series update, some don't.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred