Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling a different range indicator

Hello,
    I'd like to call a 2 range indicator on a 4 range chart. Currently I have a 2 range and a 4 range chart up in order to see both ranges. Is combine these?
    Thanks

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thank you for your post.

We have a video on our Youtube channel that covers this item. You can find the video at the following link: http://youtu.be/x_6BN5SIiig

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks PatrickH! That was awesome! I hope you guys keep putting out those videos. That is so incredibly helpful to actually see something done!

Comment

Hello,
        I finally got around to placing a 8 range indicator on a 4 range chart. It worked, but the candle sticks on the 4 range chart are overlapping. I checked my worked 3 times against the demo in the video. I don't believe I missed anything. Can someone explain why this is happening? I provided a screen shot.
        Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thank you for your update on this matter.

This is due to the bars closing at different times. The charting in NinjaTrader is based on time, the 8 range and 4 range will have different close times. This causes the plot to overlap for the viewed bars.

An example would be if you changed the color of the Candlesticks from transparent to a solid color and then plot it on another panel. You will see the closes at different times and the display is the same.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

I'm revisiting this idea of posting an 8 range indicator over a 4 range chart. I understand that the range bars close at different times and that is what is causing the overlapping bars. Is there any way around this yet? I like the idea, but it's hard to trade off of overlapping bars.
            Thanks

Comment

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thank you for your post.

This is no work around in NinjaTrader 7 for this item. We do look to improve this in the next major release of NinjaTrader.

Comment

Thanks for share the post with us....

Comment

Need Ninja Trader dlls

Hi,

I need to create an Indicator which will have Buy, Sell buttons and will create a text file as a output.
                  I need following dlls::

NinjaTrader.Cbi;
                  NinjaTrader.Data;
                  NinjaTrader.Gui.Chart;

Please reply ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainAmericaXX View Post
                    I'm revisiting this idea of posting an 8 range indicator over a 4 range chart. I understand that the range bars close at different times and that is what is causing the overlapping bars. Is there any way around this yet? I like the idea, but it's hard to trade off of overlapping bars.
                    Thanks
                    If you add a single bar series to your chart, typically the bars are evenly spaced. The distance between two bars does not reflect the time elapsed with the exception of time-based (e.g. minute, daily or second bars).

If you add two bar series to your chart, NinjaTrader automatically switches to linear time. This causes the non-equidistant bar spacing for all bar types that are tick based.

How to avoid non-equidistant bar spacing

Currently the only way to avoid non-equidistant bar spacing is

-> to add a single bar series to the chart only
                    -> to use multi-timeframe indicators which add secondary bar series for the purpose of calculating the indicator values as required

In that case you can display the indicator values without suffering from the side-effect of non-equidistant spacing.

The chart attached displays a 20-period EMA calculated from 2-range bars on a 4-range chart.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Harry.

I am interested in the example you enclosed with your post (a 20-period EMA calculated from 2-range bars on a 4-range chart with equidistant bar spacing maintained).

What I would like to do is have a 4-range chart with a pair of LinRegs from an 8-range data series drawn in.

How would I do that?

sandman

Comment

Originally posted by sandman View Post
                        Harry.

I am interested in the example you enclosed with your post (a 20-period EMA calculated from 2-range bars on a 4-range chart with equidistant bar spacing maintained).

What I would like to do is have a 4-range chart with a pair of LinRegs from an 8-range data series drawn in.

How would I do that?

sandman
                        The VisualEMA is available at BigMikeTrading here

The best futures trading community on the planet: futures trading, market news, trading charts, trading platforms, trading strategies

Elite membership is required to download. If you cannot download, please send me a private message with your e-mail and I will send you the indicator.

For the LinRegs you need to convince somebody to code that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                          How to avoid non-equidistant bar spacing

Currently the only way to avoid non-equidistant bar spacing is

-> to add a single bar series to the chart only
                          -> to use multi-timeframe indicators which add secondary bar series for the purpose of calculating the indicator values as required

In that case you can display the indicator values without suffering from the side-effect of non-equidistant spacing.
                          Hello,
                          I am again revisiting the idea of placing an indicator from from one data series on to a chart of another data series. There is still an issue with bars being spaced unevenly due to the different time frames. I'm wondering if there is now a work around with Ninja? Or perhaps someone could explain what Harry was talking about here. I didn't quite follow his explanation.
                          Thanks

Comment

Hello CaptainAmericaXX,

Thank you for your post.

In NinjaTrader 8 you can now set a multiple instrument chart with 'Equidistant bar spacing' enabled. Right click in the chart > select Properties > Equidistant bar spacing. In NinjaTrader 7 this was not an option and thus the overlapping bars.

For information on NinjaTrader 8 charts please visit the following link: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...-us/charts.htm

Harry spoke to having the code of the indicators use another bar series (8 range for example) and then plot.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I haven't warmed up to 8 yet. Would you mind giving me an example of how I can use a range bar data series inside the code to calculate the indicator values in 7?
                              Last edited by CaptainAmericaXX; 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post maybeimnotrader