SetProfitTarget & SetStopLoss behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SetProfitTarget & SetStopLoss behavior

The help file doesn't clear out when the orders are fulfilled.
    1. What I expect is for the SetProfitTarget to fulfill once the price reach the target price (touch it).
    2. What I expect is for the SetStopLoss to fulfill once the price crosses the stop price.

Can you confirm?
    Can you add to the help file?

Shai Samuel, thanks for the post. SetProfitTarget works via a limit order which can be filled on touch but could also need penetration of the limit price (regular limit order behavior).

SetStopLoss places a stop market order which would execute once the stop price is touched (however fill could be different from stopprice, since it's a market order then).

The order types used are outlined in our helpguide as well for those methods -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Bertrand for your support.

1. How can you control if SetProfitTarget is touch or penetration?
      2. Is there a way to SetStopLoss to fulfill on penetration? Can I use a price which is a little (less the a price tick) to enforce it?
      3. Is it the same when you use EnterShortStop/EnterShortStopLimit or EnterLongStop/EnterLongStopLimit?

The issue with the stop, is that you are very likely to exit if a price is going above//beyond the original price you use to enter or the price reason, but you don't want to exit, if it just touches it, since it might go back and work in your direction. You could achieve it by setting the stop 1 tick above/bellow the desired price, but this is too much of a price to lose.

Comment

You generally could not control if a limit order is filled on touch or penetration, it's a function based on market dynamics the earlier you are in the q at your price level and there more volume / time is spend there the higher the chances for a fill on touch, however that's not guaranteed.

Yes, the underlying order types are the same - for an overview over all please see -

I guess I don't understand your stop question - the stop price to send the market order is either triggered or not, if you find you are consistently stopped out early and would benefit from a one tick wider stop, then that's what you would need to use.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          You generally could not control if a limit order is filled on touch or penetration, it's a function based on market dynamics the earlier you are in the q at your price level and there more volume / time is spent there the higher the chances for a fill on touch, however that's not guaranteed.

Yes, the underlying order types are the same - for an overview over all please see -

I guess I don't understand your stop question - the stop price to send the market order is either triggered or not, if you find you are consistently stopped out early and would benefit from a one tick wider stop, then that's what you would need to use.
          Maybe I didn't explain myself right.
          I only want the stop to fulfill after the price penetrated the stop level. If it's only touching it, I don't want it to happen. Is there a way to control this?

Comment

Sure, just set it one tick then further away. This would mean your original touch price is penetrated / traded through.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by PaulMohn, Today, 05:00 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post PaulMohn  
            Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes