Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including indicators using a different timeframe

Hi guys,

I have a chart set up showing 5' bars and a 20 bar EMA.

Is it possible to add the 20 bar EMA for a different timeframe (e.g. a chart based on 15' bars) directly to the 5' chart?

I don't want to additionally add the 15' chart to the 5' chart, which I know you can do. Just the indicator which is calculated from the 15' chart.

many thanks

Rick

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your post.

You can do this by adding both data series (the 5 minute and the 15 minute) to your chart. Then add the EMA indicator - right click in the chart and select "Indicators". In the indicator window, select "EMA" from the list at the left, and click "New". In the parameters area to the right, select "Input Series" and click the ellipses button ("..."). This will open an Input Series window. Select the 15 minute data series, click the "+" to the right, and select "Close". Then click "OK" to close the Input Series window.

In the parameters area to the right, set "Panel" to the panel containing the 5 minute data series on your chart (this should be Panel 1 if you added the 5 minute data series first). Click "OK" to close the Indicator window and plot the indicator to your chart. Next, open the Data Series window (right click in the chart and select "Data Series"). In the Data Series window, select the 15 minute data series from the list at the left, and in the "Visual" section of the parameters area to the right, set the wick, candle outline, up bars, and down bars to "Transparent". Lastly, change the "Panel" value to "1" to plot this data series in the same panel as the 5 minute data series. Click "OK" to create your chart.

We have an excellent video which details how to add an indicator to a hidden data series:

Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video demonstrates how to plot an indicator based off of one data series, overlay it onto another...

Please let me know if I can assist you further.
    Tyler G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Perfect! (Candle colour settings are under 'Chart Style' however, not 'Visual').

Thanks Tyler

Comment

Great post!

Great article this is exactly what I was looking for also!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920  
        Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920