Multi timeframe indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi timeframe indicator

Is it possible to show an indicator (in this scenario a RSqueeze) with different time frames / range sizes on the same chart?

Hello cgian,

Thank you for your post.

You can add multiple instances of the same indicator to your chart and calculating each instance of the indicator on a different data series.

To do this, first add a data series to your chart for each time frame you want to calculate your indicator off of. To add a data series to a chart, click the Data Series button on the chart toolbar (4th from the right), and select your instrument from the list at the left, then click "New". In the parameters area to the right, change the Period Type and Value. In the section "Visual", you can set whether you want the data series to plot in the same panel as the first data series. If you do, set Panel to "1".

Repeat this step for each data series you want to calculate your indicators from. You may want to hide some of the data series, as their bars will likely overlap on the chart when plotted in the same panel. To hide a data series, set the color for its Candle outline, wick, up and down bars to "Transparent". When you have added all of the data series you will need for your indicators, click "OK".

Next, from the Indicators window (accessed through the 3rd button from the right on the chart toolbar), select your indicator from the list at the left and click "New". In the parameters area to the right, click on Input Series, and then click the ellipses button ("...") that appears to the right. In the Input Series window that opens, click the "+" button to the left of the data series you want to calculate the indicator off of, and then select "Close". Click "OK". Repeat this for each different time frame you want to calculate the indicator off of. When finished, click "OK".

For more information on working with hidden data series, see this helpful YouTube video:

Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video demonstrates how to plot an indicator based off of one data series, overlay it onto another...

Please let me know if I can assist you further.
    Tyler G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Different indicator parameter on different time frame

Hi
      I want to use CCI 21 on daily chart and 14 on monthly. I need to have this as default. At this moment I need to change indicator parameter setting every time? Is there a way of saving CCI 21 on daily and CCI 14 on monthly so that I don't need to change it every time
      Regards
      Anil

Comment

Hello Anil,

By default indicators do not have interval specific templates.

This kind of logic can be written into a custom modified version of the script and would not require very advanced code.

The bar type can be detected with BarsPeriod.Id. The interval can be detected with BarsPeriod.Value.

Below is a link to the help guide on BarsPeriod.
        http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...barsperiod.htm

In Initialize(), detect the bar type and interval. If these match your desired values then set the Period value to your desired default value. You will still be able to change the Period manually when you add the indicator to the chart, however, if you add a new instance of the indicator it will check the interval and set the values to these default values.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I've added a daily bars candlesticks dataseries to a 10m chart, I would like to see daily bars overlay on the smaller timeframe chart but prices are not insync to the daily bars. If I squeeze the chart the smaller 10m bars change the prices on the daily chart as they shift.

Comment

Hello brucelevy,

Thanks for your note.

What is the scale justification you have set for both data series?

If you are looking at a particular bar and you can see the open, high, low, close of that bar (by time), and then you modify the scale and look at that bar again, is the open, high, low, close, or time of that bar changing?

Comment

Trouble with Tick Chart

I have tried this method but when applied to a 2548 tick chart it distorts all of the candles. What I'm trying to achieve is to have a 2548 tick chart in panel 1 with an indicator in panel 2 using a different tick 1974 time period for its calculation data series. This is something I've done elsewhere and am unable to figure out how to do this in NT.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a new to NT question.

GuppyDRV

Comment

Hello,

This is, unfortunately, an expected consequence of mutli-series charting. Because the two series must share one time scale, the bars must be plotted as they actually occurred in real-time as opposed to being neatly spaced as you would see in a single series chart. This is referred to as 'equidistant bar spacing' and will be the case on all multi-series charts, though the effect will be more pronounced when tick based intervals are used. While no workaround is currently possible this is something that development is working in to other ways of addressing in future versions of NinjaTrader.
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Must be nested elsewhere

Kyle,

Thanks again for fielding the newbie question. I admit, I am certainly not a programmer, just an options trader making the switch to Futures. I'm tired of the pricing complexity/uncertainty found in the options world. The prior systems I used were proprietary so I'm guessing they had custom programming. Would they have been drawing the chart with multi time frame tick charts elsewhere, hidden, and calling form the hidden chart to combine the two in one window, thus creating the appearance of symmetry? Is there any code out there that could achieve this without having to develop a work around?

Thanks again for fielding my questions. So far I'm impressed with NT and hope to eventually get my system working.

GuppyDRV

Comment

Hello GuppyDRV,

Visualizing the time scale if two series are sharing a time scale the scale will need to show each bar for each series at correct location even if the bar closing times are arbitrary such as tick bars.

Because of this, there would not be a way to adjust this without distorting the scale and giving an inaccurate representation of time.

This is the equidistant bar spacing. When two series are added, this becomes false and cannot be enabled because there is not a way to accurately display this when a single time scale with arbitrary bar times.

Instead the time scales would need to be separated. If the time scales are separated, this would essentially be the same as using two charts with one positioned above the other. You could do this at this time if you wanted and position to separate charts with two separate time scales with one above the other.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by egordleo, Today, 05:50 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post egordleo  
                    Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
                    118 responses