Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Importing historical data on a regular basis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing historical data on a regular basis?

I have created a data file for symbol XYZ called XYZ.Last.txt. Via the Historical Data Manager's Import tab, I import this data and a symbol XYZ is created. I can view a chart for it and see the correct data.

I have to manually download fresh data every day. The data I'm importing is such that it has everything from the last download plus one more day. I then go to import tab and reimport this data. This seems to work. However when I view my chart it doesn't have the new data.

I press Ctrl-Shift-R (Reload All Historical Data) and then all data from the chart disappears and I cannot get the data back. Closing the chart and opening a new one does not help. Nor does restarting Ninjatrader. If I go to Historical Data Manager -> Edit tab I can see valid tick data for my symbol, but I cannot get it to show up in a chart.

1. How can I view this data in a chart again?
    2. What is the correct procedure for recurring data imports?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Is the fake symbol you've created a future, forex or equity instrument?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I just import the file without setting up a symbol which I believe creates a "Stock" instrument which is fine with me (according to http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...?importing.htm)

Comment

Hello,

Please contact me at Support AT NinjaTrader DOT com.

In the message please provide a link to this forum thread and let me know what time we could reach you tomorrow (from 8:30 AM EST until 6:00 PM EST) to further investigate by logging in to this PC remotely.

Comment

I'll pass on the remote log in unless it really comes down to that.

I was able to get the chart back by going into Historical Data Manager -> Edit tab
          and right clicking on my XYZ symbol and selecting Delete. Then I went into the Instrument Manager and deleted the symbol. Then I went back to the Historical Data Manager -> Import tab and imported the data. After doing this I now have my chart back.

So that explains how to fix the chart. What remains is a process to update the historical data on a daily basis and be able to see that updated data in the chart.

I did find a related thread:

Importing historical data - how to refresh charts?

The solution mentioned in the thread is to shutdown the workspace and reload it which I guess is means to close the work space and then open it again.
          Last edited by overflowing; 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I can confirm that closing the workspace and then reopening it will cause newly imported data to appear on the chart. (I also tried just switching the workspace but this does not work)

Is this still the state of the art with regard to updating charts with new imported data? If so, I want to make two feature requests about this:

1. Fix it so hitting reload historical data does not cause chart to display nothing.
            2. Make it so that hitting reload historical data refreshes the chart with the newly imported data.

Comment

Hello,

There are no new developments here - you would need to continue to restart the workspace as you've discovered. I will forward your suggestions to our development staff for further consideration as they work to create NinjaTrader's next major version.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by selu72, Today, 02:01 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 02:02 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes