Unable to write cache data ... NT crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to write cache data ... NT crashes

When I attempted to start NT tonight, I started getting two error messages both saying: "Unable to write cache data". The data on these charts is for expired/about to be expired futures contracts (NQ 12-13 and YM 12-13).

If I attempt to change the symbol or interact with the charts for the affected systems, NT crashes. So I just deleted the charts and was planning on recreating them.

When I attempt to recreate then again NT crashes.

I am supplying the trace (had to cut it in half) and log files.
    Attached Files

Hello mcatmull,

When the "unable to write cache data" error occurs in the log file, the trace file shows the following.

2013-12-16 21:06:29:484 Restoring workspace '$MyFuturesTrading-AllMkts'...
    2013-12-16 21:06:49:843 ERROR: Data.Bars.Load3: System.ArgumentException: Bar index needs to be greater/equal 0
    at NinjaTrader.Data.Bars.GetTime(Int32 barIndex)
    at NinjaTrader.Data.Bars.Load()

Can you please shut down NinjaTrader and delete the db-->cache folder. You can find the folder at the location below.

C:\-->Users-->*Windows user account*-->Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->db-->cache

Start NinjaTrader and check if the error persists.

The cache folder is used to quickly load data in charts - the actual data is saved in the tick, minute and day folders. So the first time you load chart data after deleting the db-->cache folder, it will take a little longer to load than usual. Once all data is loaded, it will load data quickly again.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I thought I had done this as well (as I have had problems with the "cache" when using a 3rd party indicator in the past and deleting the cache has generally solved the problem).

Nonetheless, I did this and when I attempted to change the market from NQ 12-13 to NQ 03-14, NT again crashed.

Comment

Could it be some of the data in the db folder as well?

Comment

You could try loading all data fresh and see if this will solve the issue. Make sure NinjaTrader is shut down and transfer the tick, minute and day folders to your desktop. Start NinjaTrader and all data will be loaded fresh.

If the issue remains, could you please send me new log and trace files.

Comment

That seems to have fixed it.

What did I lose by doing re-creating the db data?

Comment

You lost all historical data that was saved in NinjaTrader. However you can load it fresh from your data feed provider.

Comment

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

***UPDATE***
                  This morning I awoke and attempted to start NT and experienced the same problem. I went through the same steps that was uncovered details above, but this this time it did not work.

I then went through various steps none of which worked (see details below) . I ultimately ended up just having to recreate the workspace I was working on

================================================== =======================

I then added the recreation of the _workspaces.xml file (i.e., be deleting this file). This at least allowed me to restart NT without crashing. So this suggested it was a workspace and/or data problem.

I then attempted to restore the workspace I use $MyFuturesTrading-AllMkts from the the last backup...this didn't work.

So I exited and reopened NT.

I noticed I had a couple of GTC simulated orders left over from the pprior session. I canceled these and restarted NT. Again this failed.

Nonetheless, I had an open simulated position so I closed this position and attempted to open the workspace again.

This is looking more and more like a workspace problem!!

I then attempted to use the "temp" workspace I was using when I "limping" when this happened initially. FAILED!

So now I am back to data (possibly provider) and being confused....

I disabled the simulation provider and did the following:

1. Deleted all data
                  2. Removed the _workspace.xml file
                  2. Restarted NT
                  2. Opened my workspace (the offending one)

*** FAILED *** now confused and frustrated!!!

Recreating workspace after connecting to data provider. FAILED on first chart recreation...

Repaired and Reset the database... (CAUTION a reset should be the very last resort!! You will look a lot of stuff like ATM strategies if you do this)

Recreating workspace using default template

Did a REPAIR of the database and was able to recreate the first market
                  Last edited by mcatmull; 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM. Reason: wanted to add caution of resetting database

Comment

Hello mcatmull,

Thank you for the follow up.

It sounds like the workspace(s) that is opening is causing the situation.

Please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace

* Shut down NinjaTrader
                    * Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces
                    * Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML".
                    * After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.
                    * Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no indicators or templates loaded and test for issue.

If no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to File--> Workspaces--> Open workspace.

If this reintroduces issues, I would suggest rebuilding your workspace. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that we can narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns. I also suggest making a backup of your workspace so we can restore a backup if the issue returns.

Please let me know if this helps to resolve the situation or if I can provide any further assistance you can send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Ryan L." in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
                    1.) A link to this forum thread.
                    2.) Your latest log and trace file:
                    You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
                    • The log file will be named "log.20131223.txt"

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                    • The trace file will be named "trace.20131223.txt"

• If you would like to setup a remote support call, please also include a good contact number and time that I can reach you (I will be available until 6:00 PM Eastern today)
                    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                    6 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post alifarahani  
                    Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes