Who decides what instruments I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who decides what instruments I get?

Is it the data provider? So, for example, if I want a feed for the FTSE I need to choose a data provider / data provider package that offers this, right?

I spoke with Optimus yesterday. When I asked them what instruments I'd get and if they had a list of options on their website that I could browse they said that I'd get only those instruments allowed to my account by NinjaTrader. This has confused me. Can anyone shed any light?

Hello Instamess,

NinjaTrader supports Futures, Forex, Equities, and Indexes. The instrument in question must be one of these instrument types.

For the FTSE 100 index, this can be charted with NinjaTrader but would need to be manually set up.

For Kinetick the symbol mapping is FIY.X and the exchange is Lse (London Stock Exchange) and the type is Index.

Your data feed / broker will also need to support any instruments that you are wanting to chart / trade.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, ChelseaB.

So what does NT not support? Bonds? What else? Is there a list somewhere?

With respect FTSE, I have the "Z" instrument in my Traders Platform demo (so the feed is Rithmic, right?)

When I setup tick charts for Z I don't get any data flowing through but if I hit reload all historical data my charts get up to date and they stay static till the next time I hit reload. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Your broker's risk manager also permissions individual instruments at the customer level. For example, most data feeds have the CBOT Ultrabond (UB on Zen-Fire or ULA on CQG), and most brokers can trade it. But your account must meet the margin requirements to open a trade AND you must have that contract enabled for your account before you try to place a trade or it will be rejected. Sometimes you have to call and request permission for specific contracts. I remember having to do this years ago with Mirus for UB and Brent crude.

Comment

Hi Instamess,

When it comes to specific instruments, they will be chartable as long as they are a Future, Index, Equity, or Forex instrument.

There is not a list of acceptable instruments (this would be a very very very large list and would not include new symbols as they are created).

Regarding the "Z" symbol, this is the future instrument for the FTSE 100 and is pre-mapped in NinjaTrader.

You can find this instrument by searching for Z in the Instrument Manager.

Regarding the chart not updating in real-time, it sounds like you may be subscribed to delayed data for this instrument.

I would be happy to test this for you, however, I would need some personal information from you so that I may test your account.

Let me know if you would like me to do this.

Comment

Yes, please. What info do you need from me and how do you want me to send it?

Comment

Hi Instamess,

Please send me your configuration file to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. In the email please write Attn: Chelsea #985386 and include a link to this forum thread.

You will find your NinjaTrader configuration file in the following directory:
              • (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\config.xml

Do not post this file or any other personal information to the forum. I look forward to receiving the file.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by DayTradingDEMON, Today, 09:28 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
              Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
              9 responses
              0 likes