NinjaTrader just deleted my workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader just deleted my workspace

With no explanation, nothing in logs or trace.
    Its just gone.
    Workspace had been saved for over a year, now its just gone.
    Is there anything that can just delete a workspace without your permission?
    I did lose connection for a time, my ISP had temporary issues.
    Then my PC froze which happens maybe 4 times a year for various reasons.
    Then I hard shut down via power, then came back, my ISP was ok.
    Then started up NT as usual, and my workspace is gone.
    I am using 7.0.1000.10 x64.
    This has never happened to me using NT since 2006.
    Ive seen all kind of crazy things with freezing and data messing up, but never outright just deleting a workspace.
    Last edited by Mike_32; 01-09-2014, 03:02 AM.

Hello Mike_32,

Can you please check if you see the workspace name of your workspace reflected in the upper left corner of the Control Center? If so, it indicates the workspace is opened. However, if no charts and other windows appear in the Windows task bar, it indicates the workspace was not saved with the charts and other windows. If you do not see the workspace name, please go to Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace to open a workspace.

Could the following have happened? Upon closing down the software you closed the charts and other windows part of workspace. Subsequently when prompted to save your workspace, you clicked Yes or Yes to all. This caused your workspace to save without the charts and other windows, since they were closed.

This can happen if you shut down NinjaTrader via the Windows task bar. If you right click NinjaTrader in the Windows task bar and select Close, it will close all charts and other windows first and subsequently you will be prompted to save your workspaces. If you now click Yes, it will be saved without the charts and other windows.

You can restore your workspace if you have a backup file that contains your workspace saved with your charts and other windows. Please go to Control Center-->File-->Utilities-->Restore to restore any backup files you may have.

If not, unfortunately you will need to rebuild the workspace.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Hello Mike_32,

Can you please check if you see the workspace name of your workspace reflected in the upper left corner of the Control Center? If so, it indicates the workspace is opened. However, if no charts and other windows appear in the Windows task bar, it indicates the workspace was not saved with the charts and other windows. If you do not see the workspace name, please go to Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace to open a workspace.

Could the following have happened? Upon closing down the software you closed the charts and other windows part of workspace. Subsequently when prompted to save your workspace, you clicked Yes or Yes to all. This caused your workspace to save without the charts and other windows, since they were closed.

This can happen if you shut down NinjaTrader via the Windows task bar. If you right click NinjaTrader in the Windows task bar and select Close, it will close all charts and other windows first and subsequently you will be prompted to save your workspaces. If you now click Yes, it will be saved without the charts and other windows.

You can restore your workspace if you have a backup file that contains your workspace saved with your charts and other windows. Please go to Control Center-->File-->Utilities-->Restore to restore any backup files you may have.

If not, unfortunately you will need to rebuild the workspace.
      Ive had this workspace for over 1 year, it has been saved 1000's of times.
      I saved it again before shutting down the PC, NT still was responsive it was Windows 7 which was not responsive.
      The whole workspace name no longer exists in the list of workspaces either in NT or even in the folder the workspaces are saved in.
      I did not delete the workspace, in fact NT has no option to delete a workspace.
      The only way to delete one is to do it manually through the folder it is stored in.
      And as I said I had no response to my PC the only thing working was NT, so I could not even open task manager let alone go to a folder and delete the workspace.
      This is definitely very fishy in my opinion I have not ever seen this before.

Comment

You can delete workspaces at Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace in NinjaTrader.

Do you have a system restore point before the issue occurred? If so, I suggest to perform the system restore and check if this will restore your workspace. More information can be found at the link below.
        Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

Comment

It is not even listed as being deleted in undelete information it is as if it just disappeared from existence.
          If you delete an .xml file in windows it will at least show up as being deleted even if you can't recover it.
          But its not even listed as being deleted.
          Last edited by Mike_32; 01-09-2014, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Do you have a NinjaTrader backup file to restore the workspace? If not, are you able to perform a system restore?

Comment

Do you have a NinjaTrader backup file to restore the workspace? If not, are you able to perform a system restore?
              No I don't I don't use backups and restores I can fix almost any problem when I know there is a problem.
              This was not logged as any problem, the xml file just has disappeared from the PC from the HD.
              Ive never seen this happen before a file just disappears doesn't even come up in deleted files using an undelete program.
              Something "happened" I know something happened I was here and saw it and I believe this is responsible for the file disappearing.
              You know it is as if the file was moved, cut and pasted from my pc to elsewhere, not deleted.
              Last edited by Mike_32; 01-09-2014, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not see any other way to restore the workspace besides recreating it manually.

I suspect the hard shut down via power is related.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not see any other way to restore the workspace besides recreating it manually.

I suspect the hard shut down via power is related.
                  But how could the hard shut down do this? When its been saved as an existing xml file 1000's of times for over 1 year?
                  I could understand some new thing I did in the workspace was not saved.
                  But not the whole workspace vanishing.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not see what else could have caused this. I never seen an instance before where a workspace file disappears either. The issue occurred after you hard shut down via power.

Comment

I have some files in my temp cache related to NT which were not usually there.
                      They are called, wf6g3opb.0.cs wf6g3opb.dll and wf6g3opb.tmp.
                      In these files especially the .cs one, it has information about things to do with NT.
                      Why are they there?

Comment

Unfortunately I am not familiar with these files. The .cs and .dll file types are usually used for NinjaScript files. In what specific folder did you find these files? Do you refer to the NinjaTrader 7-->tmp folder or NinjaTrader 7-->cache or NinjaTrader 7-->db-->cache?

Do you have an indicator or strategy that has wf6g3opb as name?

Comment

Unfortunately I am not familiar with these files. The .cs and .dll file types are usually used for NinjaScript files. In what specific folder did you find these files? Do you refer to the NinjaTrader 7-->tmp folder or NinjaTrader 7-->cache or NinjaTrader 7-->db-->cache?

Do you have an indicator or strategy that has wf6g3opb as name?
                          No these were in my users\name\documents\app data\temp.
                          In windows 7.
                          I have no indicator with this name, but the indicators listed in the cs file relate to the flux indicators from backtothefuturetrading one of your vendors for which I had a trial a long time ago.
                          I have removed them now but I believe these vendors to have done something nefarious to my NT installation and removed my workspace.

Comment

I do not see how a 3rd party vendor would be able to delete a workspace.

Could it be Windows created these files due to the freeze up or sudden power outage? I am not aware of NinjaTrader creating files in such a folder.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post wzgy0920  
                            Started by wzgy0920, Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes