Looking for specific example: switching timeframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for specific example: switching timeframes

There's a particular technique that I'm trying to code up in NinjaScript. While I'm confident that I'll figure it out eventually, I was wondering if anybody else has seen something similar, and could point me to some sample code.

I have several strategies that I call "Signal and Trigger" strategies. Basically: the strategy looks for certain TA criteria on a higher timeframe (say, 10 minute bars) - when those criteria are met, that's the "signal". The strategy then switches to a smaller timeframe (say, 2 minutes) to finesse the entry. When the shorter-timeframe criteria are met, the trade is executed. That's the "trigger".

I understand multiple timeframe concepts like BarsArray, BarsInProgress, etc. What I'm looking for is some sample code for a strategy that switches timeframes during its decision-making process. Again, in general, the code is saying: "Okay, that's the setup I'm looking for. Time to trade - but first I'll switch to a shorter timeframe to improve my entry." I'd also like to know if there's any additional complications from using Tick-based bars instead of Minute-based bars.

Note: In no way am I looking for tips, specific TA settings, timeframes, etc. I consider that to be 100% my own responsibility. I'm just looking for a little coding guidance for this multi-timeframe technique.

It sounds like you're already familiar with this but if not I strongly recommend reading this article: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nstruments.htm

Then in regards to your logic you would want to do something like:

Code:
    if(BarsInProgress == 0)//assuming this is the longer time frame but you could code it either way
    {
    if(lookingForSetup)
    {
    //wait for longer time frame to be setup
    //once it's setup flip a boolean value
    }
    else
    return;
    }
    else if (BarsInProgress == 1)
    {
    if(!lookingForSetup)
    {
    //only want to process logic when we aren't looking for the setup
    //would want to flip lookingForSetup back to true after trade
    }
    else return;
    }
    Let me know if I can further assist.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Lance. I guess I was trying to make things overly complicated. I was working on a generic solution that could support multiple timeframes (not just two), using something like a state machine. But this approach will work just fine for my immediate needs. I guess I just wanted confirmation that the key variable - that would be the boolean value "lookingForSetup" - is class-level variable, and not something that might possibly hold different values depending on which set of bars is current.

Comment

Yes that is correct in regards to the boolean.

If you needed more states you could use an int instead.

Let me know if I can further assist.
        LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
        Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
        4 responses