Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 or 64 bit?

Hi all,
    I've got Ninjatrader on a Windows 7 computer that I haven't used in a while, and it turns out that I installed both the 32 and the 64 bit versions of NT. Both of them are NT 7 but them are early updates, so I'll need to install the latest updates to use them, but I'm not sure if I should keep both the 32 and the 64 bit versions, or just focus on one of them. Right now, I'm just using NT for charting, but eventually I'll be live trading, so I'd like to know which version of NT I should concentrate on. What's the diff between the 32 and 64 bit versions of NT? Is one faster, or more stable, or offer more features? Please somebody explain. Thanks,
    Tasuki
    p.s. in case resource utilization is an issue, the computer they're on is a 10 monitor monster which is screaming fast, so computational resources shouldn't be limiting.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This does come down to system resource availability. In the 32 bit version, NinjaTrader's total memory access would be limited to 1.2 GB of RAM where as the 64 bit version is able to access 2.4 GB of memory in total.

As not all data providers support a 64 bit connection we make both operating modes available by default when installing with a 64 bit operating system. Which data provider/broker do you use with NinjaTrader currently?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle,
      Thanks for your rapid reply. Right now I'm just using Kinetick for EOD data. Actually not sure what data provider I'll choose for live data. I was thinking of Zenfire, but apparently they're no longer an option. Is there a list somewhere of which data vendors support 64 bit and which do not?

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

Please see the link below that will list the providers that are supported in 64 bit.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Wow, that looks like a pretty short list. Don't you guys have dozens of data providers that work with NT? And only 10 of them allow 64 bit? Seems strange.
          Oh, I notice that ZenFire is on the list. Wasn't there some flap about them, didn't we just get a whole bunch of emails about how ZenFire went belly up? There was something about "Continuum" taking over their customers? Or have I got it wrong? If I am remembering correctly, will ZenFire's replacement be offering 64 bit? Or doesn't anybody know yet???
          Thanks, Tasuki

Comment

Hello,

Zen-Fire is undergoing maintenance but is likely to return in the future. Whether the changes will leave 64 bit connectivity as an option is information which I do not have unfortunately.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Support,

The information (post) given at the link on datafeed supporting 64 bit native execution is dated 2009. Is it current? Any update? How about Continuum?

Thanks.
              Rgds.
              Edward K.

Comment

Hello Edward,

Thank you for your forum post.

For an updated list, see the Help Guide article entitled "Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider":

Continuum is supported on the 64-bit version of NinjaTrader.
                Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

Which NT version can or should I use.

I have Icon for NT 7 and NT7 (64bit) curently running 64 bit, but why are there two ? Thanks

Comment

Hello mcorbett,

Thank you for the follow up here.

NinjaTrader will install a 32-bit and 64-bit version of the platform on a 64-bit operating system. Essentially these two programs will be identical. The 64-bit version will allow you to connect to 64 bit enabled data feeds as well as use additional system memory.

In the 32 bit version, NinjaTrader's total memory access would be limited to 1.2 GB of RAM where as the 64 bit version is able to access 2.4 GB of memory in total.

As not all data providers support a 64 bit connection we make both operating modes available by default when installing with a 64 bit operating system.

See the Help Guide article entitled "Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider" to understand which data feeds are 64-bit enabled:
                    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanL View Post
                      Hello mcorbett,

Thank you for the follow up here.

NinjaTrader will install a 32-bit and 64-bit version of the platform on a 64-bit operating system. Essentially these two programs will be identical. The 64-bit version will allow you to connect to 64 bit enabled data feeds as well as use additional system memory.

In the 32 bit version, NinjaTrader's total memory access would be limited to 1.2 GB of RAM where as the 64 bit version is able to access 2.4 GB of memory in total.

As not all data providers support a 64 bit connection we make both operating modes available by default when installing with a 64 bit operating system.

See the Help Guide article entitled "Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider" to understand which data feeds are 64-bit enabled:
                      Thanks I use IB

says that I can use 64 bit and will continue to do so...

Comment

Originally posted by mcorbett View Post
                        Hello,

Which NT version can or should I use.

I have Icon for NT 7 and NT7 (64bit) curently running 64 bit, but why are there two ? Thanks
                        Mcorbett,
                        I would assume that the NT7 refers to the 32 bit Ninjatrader program, and the other icon obviously refers to the 64 bit version.
                        The logical assumption would be that there are two icons for the two different versions because NT doesn't know which data provider you'll be choosing (some data providers, as we know from this thread, do not work with the 64 bit version of NT), so NT gives you the option of using either version of their software, and rather than asking you in advance which one you'd like to use, the NT setup program just dumps both versions onto your computer, and lets you choose the one you want. In the event that you change data providers, you may want to use the other version, and it'll already be handy.
                        Anyway, that's my best answer. If anybody knows differently, please post here.
                        Tasuki

Comment

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
                          Mcorbett,
                          I would assume that the NT7 refers to the 32 bit Ninjatrader program, and the other icon obviously refers to the 64 bit version.
                          The logical assumption would be that there are two icons for the two different versions because NT doesn't know which data provider you'll be choosing (some data providers, as we know from this thread, do not work with the 64 bit version of NT), so NT gives you the option of using either version of their software, and rather than asking you in advance which one you'd like to use, the NT setup program just dumps both versions onto your computer, and lets you choose the one you want. In the event that you change data providers, you may want to use the other version, and it'll already be handy.
                          Anyway, that's my best answer. If anybody knows differently, please post here.
                          Tasuki
                          Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                          24 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post spwizard  
                          Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                          0 responses