• Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT on linux

Hello NT,
    By any chance can NT run on Linux?

Regards,

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this question.

Unfortunately NinjaTrader is not currently compatible with Linux however adding Linux support is something our development team is looking in to. I will forward your support for the addition of a Linux based version to them.

If I can assist with anything else please let me know.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Glad that NT is thinking about that. It will be great that NT can eventually run on Linux given the inherent stability of Linux system. Thanks for forwarding and also the prompt reply.

Comment

There are no instability issues with windows.

NT is built on .net.

NT8 demos have shown some html access.

Originally posted by binwang2 View Post
        Glad that NT is thinking about that. It will be great that NT can eventually run on Linux given the inherent stability of Linux system. Thanks for forwarding and also the prompt reply.

Comment

Yes please. Currently I have to use VirtualBox to trade.

Comment

Originally posted by fmonera View Post
            Yes please. Currently I have to use VirtualBox to trade.
            So do I. That gives you the best of both worlds. A (virtual) machine with dedicated memory and slice of overall resources. What is not to like? And if the Windez goes down, we just have to restart the VM, not the whole 'puter.

Comment

Hello,

I'm addressing this to Kogonam and/or others who use a virtual machine. I know virtually nothing about VM's, but want to learn. I see VirtualBox is free to use. What I don't understand is whether or not I need to have a Windows license to run a Windows app on say, VirtualBox (or any other VM software).

It would seem too good to be true that I could build up a Linux box, install Virtual Box, and run Ninjatrader, without paying Bill G anything. Do I have this correct? Is there a best way to go about doing this, or are VM's now simple enough to install and operate that I don't need to read a thousand page manual to get going?

Thanks much for any comments/advice.

Comment

Originally posted by coolmoss View Post
                Hello,

I'm addressing this to Kogonam and/or others who use a virtual machine. I know virtually nothing about VM's, but want to learn. I see VirtualBox is free to use. What I don't understand is whether or not I need to have a Windows license to run a Windows app on say, VirtualBox (or any other VM software).

It would seem too good to be true that I could build up a Linux box, install Virtual Box, and run Ninjatrader, without paying Bill G anything. Do I have this correct? Is there a best way to go about doing this, or are VM's now simple enough to install and operate that I don't need to read a thousand page manual to get going?

Thanks much for any comments/advice.
                VirtualBox is now close to foolproof to setup. But you will always need a license to install Old Billy's stuff. It matters not on what: real hardware or virtual hardware, it makes no difference.

Comment

Thx much Koga!

One more Q if you get a chance to respond: let's say I have a good ole XP disc and license, but it's only SP1. Can I use that and then install SP3 (assuming I can download it from somewhere) after the initial XP install?

Comment

Originally posted by coolmoss View Post
                    Thx much Koga!

One more Q if you get a chance to respond: let's say I have a good ole XP disc and license, but it's only SP1. Can I use that and then install SP3 (assuming I can download it from somewhere) after the initial XP install?
                    Provided your XP has not been locked to some particular hardware, sure. I believe XP is still in support, so you could probably call and have them allow you to reactivate against a different system. Yes, if you can install XP, you will always be able to upgrade to the most current service pack. Have fun.

The advantage for me of running in the Virtual Machine is that I have a complete machine dedicated to running only NinjaTrader for trading, and nothing else. That means I install the OS, and do not need to add in any resource sucking antimailware or anything else. Just the OS and NinjaTrader; no browsers, no readers, no editors (other than Notepad and Wordpad, lol), nothing else, period. Believe me, it runs fast, and is very responsive.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                    6 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post algospoke  
                    Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post arvidvanstaey