Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Why are trendlines different across multiple timeframe charts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are trendlines different across multiple timeframe charts?

Here is an example of what I mean. Check out this bull trendline on the SPY.

Daily

5 Minute

That is the exact same trendline, attached to both charts. You can see on the daily chart that we did not touch the trendline for that date, but the 5 minute chart says we did.

Is there a way to fix this discrepancy and increase the accuracy? There may be a setting I'm missing or something I am doing incorrectly. Let me know what I can do because trendline accuracy is a big deal to my trading style, as I believe a lot of computer/algo traders I have to compete with probably have pinpoint support/resistance accuracy.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Do the anchor points on the line appear to be the same in both charts? To check, double click on the line to open it's Properties menu.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes they do. Here's a video showing the properties of both charts:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Hello Illusion,

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in the lower left hand corner of the control center

Just to confirm this is on the Spy correct?
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Correct, this is SPY, and I'm connected to IB.

Comment

Hello Illusion,

Thank you for the clarification.

IB uses RTH daily bar templates with their data feed and your 5 min is using the ETH hours which is why you see the cross on the 5 Min and not the daily.

You can work around this by downloading daily end of day data through the Kinetick End of Day connection, which uses ETH session template for the daily data

Additionally, you can use a 1440 Minute chart time frame to get the full days' data while have the look of the daily bars.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Okay, I'm going to try downloading from Kinetick tonight and then see what happens.

I'm still a tad confused though -- RTH is what I want. In the data series, I have everything set to RTH on all the charts I have open. So I'm still ETH on my 5 min even though I set it to RTH in the data series and I get RTH data through IB?

Comment

What session template do you assign for the 5 min chart?

Comment

I use US Equities RTH for all of the charts I have open including the 5 minute.

Comment

Illusion,

Thank you for the clarification.

Is there is one last piece of information here that I want to pass along and set the expectation of the lines and angle.

The charts use a quantified scaling method, or auto scaled by the computer. This causes angles of DrawLines to look different from chart to chart, since the scaling is not the same and use a geometric calculation.

There are a couple options to help compensate for this.

The first one is to use the SnapMode of Bar and Price. This will put a more 'hard' data point set for the line.

The second is to change the Y-axis Based On parameter to EntireDateRangeSeriesOnly. Which will adjust the y-scaling to be the entire time frame loaded for the chart and not just what's visible.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

I don't see the EntireDateRangeSeriesOnly option in my panel properties. Here's what I see:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

I usually use snap mode on bar and price. I do feel like that helps me get my lines aligned the best.

But anyway, darn... so is there no way to solve the discrepancies I have across different timeframe charts? If not, some kind of way to make them all very accurate would be amazing in the next version of NT. I feel like I can't trust the lines I bring into my current chart from higher timeframe charts.

I found this thread at Big Mike's about the same thing: https://www.bigmiketrading.com/ninja...timeframe.html

Comment

Illusion,

You will need to change the 'Range' to Automatic and not fixed.

Comment

Thanks. I did that but it hasn't made the trendlines more accurate. Think there's anything else I can do? Again, at the moment I feel like I can't really trust lines I bring in from higher timeframes to a lower timeframe chart.

Same deal.. Anymore ideas or is this something I just kinda have to live with?

By the way thanks so much for all of the support and ideas. I appreciate it.

Comment

Illusion,

This is why I wanted to set the expectation of the differences.

Here are couple other links that can further explain this.
                            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...22460#poststop
                            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=60266

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Irukandji  
                            Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes