Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 basic questions

I have a couple of questions.

1. If I have say, 5 charts open, for different symbols, and close NT, when I reopen NT, the names of the charts in the window list on the lower left, are now all blank. I have to go through and manually click on each chart to find the one I want. Why can I not see the chart names when I reopen NT?

2. Once I have a chart open, how can I simply add the symbol to a watchlist? In Worden or Tradestation I can simply go right click>add to watchlist> choose watchlist from a menu and I'm done.

Thanks,.

Thanks for the post Sparkyboy.

1. Correct, this is a known current limitation and on our dev team's list to look into for the next major platform upgrade.

2. Instrument lists for your Market Analyzer could unfortunately not be directly managed from the chart interface, however we do run an enhancement suggestion already in this regard and I will make sure to track your vote as well for this item. To create yourself a list with symbols please go to Tools > Instrument Manager, on the left side you can custom create a list and move then symbols via the < arrows to it to use.

Under File > New > Market Analyzer you can then apply your list to a scanning quote sheet.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hmmm. I think your development team need to spend a couple of afternoons playing with the basic functionality of competitors' programs. They might then realise how far NT lags behind in ease of use.

Unless I'm missing something here, I need 15 mouse clicks/scrolls just to get a symbol that's not in the default lists up on a graph:

tools>instrument manager>new>exchange=nyse>master instrument>type symbol>ok>left arrow>okay>file>new>chart>scrolldown>select symbol>new>okay

Am I really expected to do that with 20 different stocks?

Comment

You are correct in understanding Sparkyboy, this would be the approach to create a list.

If you seek to add a batch of symbols, you can also simplify with this feature -

Comment

If you don't need a list, you could of course also just type the symbol name on your chart to change over. i.e. MSFT to get a chart of Microsoft.

Same could be done to change the interval, so typing 15M would change to 15 minute chart.

Comment

Thanks. The problem is that whilst one can chart any symbol by typing it in onto a chart, one can't then add it to a watchlist without opening up instrument manager. It's a major workflow issue.

Comment

Understood Sparkyboy, I have added it to our enhancement tracking lists for discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkyboy View Post
                Thanks. The problem is that whilst one can chart any symbol by typing it in onto a chart, one can't then add it to a watchlist without opening up instrument manager. It's a major workflow issue.
                You can always import a list (from a delimited file or directly input) directly into an Instrument List.

File --> Utilities --> Import Stock Symbol List...

ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stock_symb.htm
                Attached Files
                Last edited by koganam; 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

another charting problem

I have another question about charts.

When I add a secondary data series to a primary one, gaps between candles now occur, Both instruments trade NYSE session. For example, say I graph DJIA index as a primary and say NYSE up volume index as a secondary, I get gaps. If I add a third instrument there are more gaps.

Comment

Sparkyboy, that would be an expected outcome for the charts as you are then working on a MultiSeries chart which would have the equidistant bar spacing as requirement set to false. More info would be located here on this property - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ub=Equidistant

Comment

Are you really telling me that NT7 can't properly chart the daily Dow with volume underneath?

Comment

Sparkyboy, volume should readily available via the volume indicator for your daily data, so in this case there would be no need for the setup to use a MultiSeries chart here meaning you would be able to work on a chart using equidistant bars then...

Comment

I can't get volume as an indicator to work, It just shows as value = 1. Presumably because the data series is an index.

Comment

Right that could be the case for some data supplies if the 'true' index symbol is used. For example I just checked the free Google connection we have and this would include volume. As an alternative you could chart the futures contract for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkyboy View Post
                              Hmmm. I think your development team need to spend a couple of afternoons playing with the basic functionality of competitors' programs. They might then realise how far NT lags behind in ease of use.

Unless I'm missing something here, I need 15 mouse clicks/scrolls just to get a symbol that's not in the default lists up on a graph:

tools>instrument manager>new>exchange=nyse>master instrument>type symbol>ok>left arrow>okay>file>new>chart>scrolldown>select symbol>new>okay

Am I really expected to do that with 20 different stocks?
                              Hi Sparkyboy

We’re a proud NinjaTrader 3rd party add-on provider and have recently released a unique new product range, the ‘Easy Load’ equities installer for NinjaTrader, which addresses the exact question you raised in this post (the NinjaTrader press release can be found at http://www.ninjatrader.com/downloads...st_29_2013.pdf )

Our ‘Easy Load’ installers automatically install within NinjaTrader the complete list of all fully configured stock exchange codes for various exchanges, including all US NYSE, NASDAQ & NYSE MKT (formally AMEX) stocks, allowing for fast, seamless access to these instruments across multiple supported NinjaTrader datafeed providers.

Just thought I’d mention it if anyone is now after a fully automated solution to this query.
                              Easily view ALL equities & stock codes for many of the world's largest stock exchanges in NinjaTrader, seamlessly connected to supported data feed providers

Thanks for your time!
                              Cheers

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post xiinteractive  
                              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                              1 response